The behaviour of e^x near infinity and -infinity

In summary, the conversation discusses the solution to an integration problem where the value of c is found to be 2 in order for e^(2x) to equal -1. The properties of the exponential function are also mentioned, including the limits as x approaches positive and negative infinity and 0. The conversation concludes with a suggestion to use a new calculator to accurately calculate large and small values of e^x.
laura_a

Homework Statement

I have done an integration and ended up with the result

[-c/2 * [e^(-2x)]] |^infinity_0 = 1
The solution is that c=2 so that means to me that e^(2x) must turn into minus 1 for it to equal 1... but I'm not sure.. I've got graphcalc so I've been staring at the graph and I figure that as x goes to infinity that e^x goes to 1... but not sure what to say when x goes to minus infinity?

Physics news on Phys.org
You should remember the following properties of the exponential function:
  • [tex]\lim_{x \to +\infty} e^x = \infty[/tex]
  • [tex]\lim_{x \to -\infty} e^x = 0[/tex]
  • [tex]\lim_{x \to 0} e^x = 1[/tex] (actually, the exponential function is continuous in 0, so one could also just say [tex]e^0 = 1[/tex], which is logical since [itex]x^0 = 1[/itex] for any [itex]x \neq 0[/itex]).

Last edited:
Likes Heba Mamdooh
e^x goes to 1 as x goes to 0.
e^x goes to 0 as x goes to negative infinity
e^x goes to infinity as x goes to infinity (no limit)

Is that what you're after?

Likes Heba Mamdooh
laura_a said:

Homework Statement

I have done an integration and ended up with the result

[-c/2 * [e^(-2x)]] |^infinity_0 = 1
The solution is that c=2 so that means to me that e^(2x) must turn into minus 1 for it to equal 1... but I'm not sure.. I've got graphcalc so I've been staring at the graph and I figure that as x goes to infinity that e^x goes to 1... but not sure what to say when x goes to minus infinity?
Then you need a new calculator! e^x does not go anywhere near 1 as x goes to infinity.
If you must use a calculator, what is e^1000000? What is e^(-100000)?

1. What is the limit of e^x as x approaches infinity?

The limit of e^x as x approaches infinity is infinity. This means that the value of e^x will continue to increase without bound as x gets larger and larger.

2. How does the behaviour of e^x near infinity differ from its behaviour near -infinity?

Near infinity, e^x increases without bound, while near -infinity, e^x approaches 0. This is because as x approaches -infinity, the exponent becomes infinitely negative, causing the value of e^x to approach 0.

3. What is the relationship between e^x and the natural logarithm function (ln(x)) near infinity?

The natural logarithm function is the inverse of the exponential function, so as e^x approaches infinity, ln(x) also approaches infinity. This means that e^x and ln(x) are asymptotically related near infinity.

4. How is the behaviour of e^x near infinity related to its Taylor series expansion?

The Taylor series expansion of e^x is 1 + x + (x^2)/2! + (x^3)/3! + ... , which shows that as x approaches infinity, the value of e^x becomes increasingly dominated by the first term, 1. This aligns with the behaviour of e^x near infinity, where it approaches infinity.

5. Can e^x become negative as x approaches infinity?

No, e^x is always a positive value. As x approaches infinity, e^x may become a very large positive number, but it will never be negative.