Differential Existence and Uniqueness

In summary, the conversation discusses verifying two solutions, y1(t) = 1-t and y2(t) = (-t^2)/4, for the initial value problem y' = (-t + √(t² + 4y))/2, with the given initial condition. It also addresses the existence and uniqueness of solutions and shows that y = ct + c^2 satisfies the differential equation, but there is no choice of c that gives the second solution y2(t). The student is unsure of their method and asks for help understanding the concepts involved.
swooshfactory

Homework Statement

a) Verify that both y1(t)= 1-t and y2(t)= (-t^2)/4 are solutions of the initial value problem

y-prime = (-t + (t^2 + 4y)^(1/2)) / 2 , for y(2) = -1

Where are these solutions valid?

b) Explain why the existence of two solutions of the given problem does not contradict the uniqueness part of Theorem 2.4.2 (typed in section 2. below) .
C) Show that y=ct+c^2 where c is an arbitrary constant satisfies the differential equation in part (a) for t> or equal to -2c. If c=-1 the initial condition is also satisfied and the solution y=y1(t) is obtained. Show that there is no choice of c that gi es the second solution y=y2(t)

Homework Equations

Let the functions f and df/dy be continiuous in some rectangle alpha < t < beta, gamma < y < theta containing the point (t0, y0). Then in some interval t0 - h < t < t0 + h contained in alpha < t < beta, there is a unique solution y = phi (t) of the initial value problem y-prime = f ( t,y ) , y(t0) = y0

i think this is the relevant equation, at least

The Attempt at a Solution

I am very unsure of my method in attempting to solve this problem. My problem is that I don't understand the concepts I'm employing or why I'm employing them. What I did to solve it was separate the "-t/2" and "[(t^2+4y)^(1/2)]/2]" terms and add "-t+2" to each side. Then, I didn't know how to get the y on its own, so I squared both sides. I don't know if this is right to do. Now I have (d^2)y/(dt^2) + (t/2)^2 = [(t^2+4y)^(1/2)]/2]^2.

I got to (d^2)y/(dt^2) = y(1-t) . I don't know if this is right, what this means, or what to do here. I am very confused. My homework is due Monday, so I would really appreciate it if someone who understands this problem could explain any part of it to me, but especially a) since that is the part I am stuck on.

Physics news on Phys.org
swooshfactory said:

Homework Statement

a) Verify that both y1(t)= 1-t and y2(t)= (-t^2)/4 are solutions of the initial value problem

y' = (-t + √(t² + 4y))/ 2 , for y(2) = -1

I am very unsure of my method in attempting to solve this problem. My problem is that I don't understand the concepts I'm employing or why I'm employing them. What I did to solve it was separate the "-t/2" and "[(t^2+4y)^(1/2)]/2]" terms and add "-t+2" to each side. Then, I didn't know how to get the y on its own, so I squared both sides. I don't know if this is right to do. Now I have (d^2)y/(dt^2) + (t/2)^2 = [(t^2+4y)^(1/2)]/2]^2.

I got to (d^2)y/(dt^2) = y(1-t) . I don't know if this is right, what this means, or what to do here. I am very confused. My homework is due Monday, so I would really appreciate it if someone who understands this problem could explain any part of it to me, but especially a) since that is the part I am stuck on.

Hi swooshfactory! :smile:

(have a square-root: √ and a squared: ² :smile:)

Nooo … (dy/dt) is not d²y/dt². :cry:

Just substitute y1 or y2 inside the square-root, and prove that the whole RHS is -1 or t2/2, respectively. :smile:

1. What is the concept of differential existence and uniqueness?

Differential existence and uniqueness is a mathematical concept that deals with the existence and uniqueness of solutions to a given differential equation. It is used to determine whether a unique solution exists for a specific initial value problem.

2. What is the importance of differential existence and uniqueness in science?

Differential existence and uniqueness is crucial in science as it allows us to determine whether a system described by a differential equation has a unique solution. This helps us understand the behavior of a system and make predictions based on the given initial conditions.

3. How is differential existence and uniqueness tested?

Differential existence and uniqueness can be tested using various methods such as the Picard-Lindelöf theorem, the Cauchy-Kowalevski theorem, or the method of characteristics. These methods use different mathematical techniques to determine the existence and uniqueness of solutions to a given differential equation.

4. What are some real-world applications of differential existence and uniqueness?

Differential existence and uniqueness have many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology. It is used to model and analyze various phenomena such as population growth, chemical reactions, and electrical circuits.

5. What are the limitations of differential existence and uniqueness?

While differential existence and uniqueness are powerful tools, they have limitations. They only apply to linear differential equations and may not be applicable to nonlinear systems. Additionally, they assume the given initial conditions are accurate, which may not always be the case in real-world situations.