Is There Evidence for Electric Field Contraction in Space?

In summary: I apologize. Theory was a bad word to use. It was in a paper I was asked to look at that has not yet been published. It is not mine so I won't give to many details(the author can elaborate if he chooses). The paper predicts that the space between a proton and electron is contracted because of their attractions(and conversely the space is expanded between to electrons who repulse). It was not clear whether this happens in our 4 dimensions or some higher dimension. So I was curious if it has been observed in the usual 3+1 dimensions Kaluza-Klein theories are a type of theory that try to explain the origins of the universe. They postulate that the universe began with a very
jefswat
I read a theory recently which, to my understanding predicted a contraction or expansion in an electric field (like the lorentz contraction) depending on the two charges involved. Has anything like this ever been expiriementally observed

Physics news on Phys.org
I read a theory recently
Where ? Give details.

Mentz114 said:
Where ? Give details.

I apologize. Theory was a bad word to use. It was in a paper I was asked to look at that has not yet been published. It is not mine so I won't give to many details(the author can elaborate if he chooses). The paper predicts that the space between a proton and electron is contracted because of their attractions(and conversely the space is expanded between to electrons who repulse). It was not clear whether this happens in our 4 dimensions or some higher dimension. So I was curious if it has been observed in the usual 3+1 dimensions

I would think that the author of the paper would be the best source. Since it is an unpublished source it is not very reasonable to expect that anyone else will have a good understanding of its claims.

Peter Bergmann, a student of Einsteins, notes " ...the Coulomb law holds only if the charged bodies do not move with respect to each other...if the charged particles move relative to each other Coulombs law must be replaced by a much more complex interaction." THE RIDDLE OF GRAVITATION,1992, page 60

In other words, if space undergoes length contraction, and mass does, would not a field also "compress" along the direction of motion. seems reasonable.

Ok. I understand what it predicts but my question is whether that has ever been observed. Does space contract BECAUSE of an electric field if even so slightly? I don't know of any expirements that's have been done that would disprove that to a high degree of accuracy do you. I know we don't see it every day but then again we don't see a lorentz contraction every day...

I don't see how 'space contraction' can be measured directly. Surely the rulers, etc will also contract ?

Do you know about Kaluza-Klein theories ?

Mentz114 said:
Do you know about Kaluza-Klein theories ?

My think was if i stand in a field and you look at me do I look thinner. obviously that has some limitations now that your point it out. I have a basic understanding of kaluza-klein theories. I've found there aren't many webpages that are as good as a paper book. The later of which I can't find on the subject and I already have several books to read and on top of that school. Are there many good books on the theory?

I can't rcommend a book on that subject. Maybe you should concentrate on schoolwork for a while. Especially the electric field. I'm sure your teacher will be able to answer your questions.

Does space contract BECAUSE of an electric field if even so slightly?

My prior answer was a relativistic one. I misinterpreted your question...
I have never seen a theory nor experiment that postulates an electromagnetic field contracting space...Einstein treated gravitational fields as uniquely self interacting entities...via his tensor formulation ...and that largely, may completely, holds to this day...and while other formulations have been developed I don't know if any have led to any deeper insights consistent with experimental results. Likely not or we would have heard about it.

1. What is Lorentz contraction?

Lorentz contraction is the phenomenon in which an object appears to be shorter in length when observed by an observer in motion relative to the object.

2. How does Lorentz contraction occur?

Lorentz contraction occurs due to the principles of special relativity, which states that the perception of time and space is relative to the observer's frame of reference and changes when objects are in motion relative to each other.

3. What is the equation for Lorentz contraction?

The equation for Lorentz contraction is L = L0 / γ, where L is the contracted length, L0 is the object's rest length, and γ is the Lorentz factor (1/√(1-v^2/c^2) where v is the velocity of the object and c is the speed of light).

4. Is Lorentz contraction a real physical phenomenon?

Yes, Lorentz contraction is a real physical phenomenon that has been observed and verified through numerous experiments and observations.

5. How does Lorentz contraction affect our daily lives?

Lorentz contraction is a very small effect and is only noticeable at very high speeds, so it does not have a significant impact on our daily lives. However, it is an important concept in understanding the principles of special relativity and has practical applications in fields such as particle physics and space travel.