Second Derivative of f(E) for Taylor Expansion at E_0

• Thread starter nissanztt90
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Simplify
Your Name] In summary, the conversation discusses finding the second derivative of a function with respect to E for a Taylor expansion about a specific value, E_0, which represents the Gamow peak. The first derivative is correctly calculated, but there may be an error in the second derivative. The simplified expression for the second derivative at E_0 is provided.
nissanztt90

Homework Statement

[tex]f(E) = \left(\frac{E_c}{E} \right)^{1/2} + \frac{E}{kT}[/tex]

Need to take second derivative with respect to E for Taylor expansion about [tex]E_0[/tex] where [tex]E_0 = [\frac{1}{4}E_c(kT)^2]^\frac{1}{3}[/tex], which is the Gamow peak.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So for the first derivative i got [tex]-\frac{E_c^\frac{1}{2}}{2E^\frac{3}{2}} + \frac{1}{kT}[/tex]

I know this is correct since when i replace [tex]E[/tex] with [tex]E_0[/tex] is comes out to 0 which is correct since [tex]E_0[/tex] is a peak, plus it was a problem hint.

For the second derivative i get [tex]\frac{3E_c^\frac{1}{2}}{4E^\frac{5}{2}}[/tex]

Im pretty sure my derivative is correct, but when i replace [tex]E[/tex] with [tex]E_0 = [\frac{1}{4}E_c(kT)^2]^\frac{1}{3}[/tex] and try to simply i get this...

[tex]\frac{3}{4} \* \frac{4^\frac{5}{6}}{[E_c(kT)^5]^\frac{1}{3}}[/tex]

Can this be simplified any further other than the obvious numerical evaulation for 4 raised to 5/6?

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your work and progress on this problem. Your first derivative looks correct, as you have correctly identified the peak at E_0 where the derivative is 0. However, I believe there may be an error in your second derivative. When I take the second derivative of the given function, I get:

f''(E) = \frac{3E_c}{4E^{\frac{7}{2}}} + \frac{5}{2kT}

Substituting E = E_0 = [\frac{1}{4}E_c(kT)^2]^\frac{1}{3}, we get:

f''(E_0) = \frac{3E_c}{4[\frac{1}{4}E_c(kT)^2]^{\frac{7}{6}}} + \frac{5}{2kT}

Simplifying this expression, we get:

f''(E_0) = \frac{3}{2}E_c^{-\frac{1}{6}}(kT)^{\frac{7}{3}} + \frac{5}{2kT}

This may not be the most simplified form, but it is a valid expression for the second derivative at E_0. I hope this helps in your solution.

1. What is the meaning of "Second Derivative of f(E) for Taylor Expansion at E_0"?

The Second Derivative of f(E) for Taylor Expansion at E_0 refers to the rate of change of the slope of a function f(E) at a specific point E_0. It is used in mathematical calculations to approximate the behavior of a function near a given point.

2. How is the Second Derivative of f(E) for Taylor Expansion at E_0 calculated?

The Second Derivative of f(E) for Taylor Expansion at E_0 is calculated by taking the derivative of the first derivative of f(E) with respect to the variable E. This can be done using the power rule or other derivative rules depending on the specific function f(E).

3. What is the purpose of using the Second Derivative of f(E) for Taylor Expansion at E_0?

The Second Derivative of f(E) for Taylor Expansion at E_0 is used to approximate the behavior of a function near a given point E_0. It can also be used to find the maximum or minimum points of a function or to determine the concavity of a function at a specific point.

4. Can the Second Derivative of f(E) for Taylor Expansion at E_0 be negative?

Yes, the Second Derivative of f(E) for Taylor Expansion at E_0 can be negative, positive, or zero. The sign of the second derivative indicates the concavity of the function at the given point E_0. A negative second derivative indicates a concave down function, while a positive second derivative indicates a concave up function.

5. What is the relationship between the Second Derivative of f(E) for Taylor Expansion at E_0 and the curvature of a function?

The Second Derivative of f(E) for Taylor Expansion at E_0 is directly related to the curvature of a function at a given point. A higher value of the second derivative indicates a sharper curvature, while a lower value indicates a flatter curvature. The sign of the second derivative also determines the direction of the curvature (concave up or concave down).