Oil temperature in a hydraulic hand pump

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of hydraulic hand pumps, specifically those with a pressure of 10000 psi. The question of how hot the oil and pipes get during compression is raised, with the response that hand-operated pumps typically do not experience a significant increase in temperature. The conversation also mentions the use of high pressure, low volumetric flow pumps, and their ability to sustain 10000 psi pressure for extended periods of time. The structural design of the pump plays a role in its ability to sustain this pressure. It is also noted that the duration of the pressure is irrelevant when the back-flow is locked out and the system is pressurized and closed.
trini
If anyone here has experience with hydraulic hand pumps(those 10000 psi models), could you tell me how hot the oil, and by extenstion the pipes get during compression?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm not familiar with this particular scenario. I would surmise, though, that anything hand-operated will experience an almost unnoticeable change of temperature. My 12-tonne bottle jack doesn't even warm up. Don't take my word for it, though; there are experts in fluid dynamics who will be responding soon.

The only ones I use are the very high pressure but extremely low volumetric flow. They are used to pressurize cylinders for things like stretching of shafts prior to tightening a nut. Those have no appreciable temperature increase.

can they be used to sustain a 10000 psi pressure for an extended period of time? what make is it?

High velocities of operations are behind increased temperature, high pressure is not.

Whether something can hold 10000psi for extended periods depends on its structural design.

trini said:
can they be used to sustain a 10000 psi pressure for an extended period of time? what make is it?

I would expect that, as with most hydraulic mechanisms, you can just lock out the back-flow. The pump then has nothing to do, so the duration is meaningless. Just pressurize the system and close the valve.

1. What is the optimal oil temperature for a hydraulic hand pump?

The optimal oil temperature for a hydraulic hand pump is typically between 120-140 degrees Fahrenheit. This temperature range allows for efficient operation and prevents oil from becoming too viscous.

2. Can the oil temperature in a hydraulic hand pump affect its performance?

Yes, the oil temperature can greatly impact the performance of a hydraulic hand pump. If the oil temperature is too low, the pump may not function properly and if it is too high, it can lead to overheating and damage to the pump.

3. How can I monitor the oil temperature in a hydraulic hand pump?

There are several ways to monitor the oil temperature in a hydraulic hand pump. One option is to use a thermometer specifically designed for hydraulic systems. Another option is to install a temperature sensor that can provide real-time readings to a control system or display.

4. What are the consequences of operating a hydraulic hand pump at an incorrect oil temperature?

Operating a hydraulic hand pump at an incorrect oil temperature can lead to reduced efficiency, increased wear and tear on components, and potential damage to the pump. It can also affect the overall performance and lifespan of the hydraulic system.

5. How can I adjust the oil temperature in a hydraulic hand pump?

The oil temperature in a hydraulic hand pump can be adjusted by using a heat exchanger, which can either cool or heat the oil as needed. Another option is to use a thermostat or control system to regulate the temperature of the oil. It is important to regularly monitor and adjust the oil temperature as needed to ensure optimal performance of the pump.