Maxwell-boltzmann distribution

In summary, the question discusses the estimation of the area under the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution of speeds of molecules in a gas at temperature T above a certain speed v. The maximum likely speed of a gas molecule in a typical room is shown to be of the order 4<v^2>^1/2, where <v^2>^1/2 represents the root mean square speed of the molecules. The equation PV=NkT is used to solve for the maximum speed, and it is suggested to take a derivative to find the maximum or minimum value.
CatWoman

Homework Statement

The area under the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution of speeds of molecules of mass m in a gas at temperature T above a speed v can be estimated as

1/2 (m/2πkT)^(1/2) v exp(-(mv^2)/kT)

Show that the maximum likely speed of a gas molecule in the air in a typical room (i.e. the speed above which the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution gives a probability of 1/N, where N is the number of molecules in the room) is of order 4<v^2>^1/2 (where <v^2>^1/2 = (3kT/m)^1/2).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the question means that the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution curve is approx a 1/N curve at and above a certain value of N. I was going to equate the max-bolt curve equation to 1/N, except the question gives the equation for the area. Then I thought I should integrate the 1/N curve to get the area then 1/N dN gives ln N. Then I can equate the areas. Then use PV=NkT so that

ln(PV/kT) = 1/2 (m/2 pi kT) exp -(mv/kT)

I was then going to plug in values for T (293Kelvin) and m (mass of nitrogen molecule) but this is really hard to solve for v so I think it must be wrong.

Any help would be really great! Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
If you recall from calc, when you want to find a max or min, you need to take a derivative...

Oh yeah! So if iI have the formula for the area then I need to differentiate twice then set equal to zero to get the maxima? I did this and got V^2=(18 pi k T/m)^1/2. This doesn't match the answer so I don't know if my working is wrong or something else.

1. What is the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution?

The Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution is a probability distribution that describes the speed (or velocity) distribution of particles in a gas at a specific temperature. It is named after James Clerk Maxwell and Ludwig Boltzmann, who were both influential scientists in the field of thermodynamics.

2. What does the shape of the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution look like?

The shape of the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution is a bell curve, similar to the normal distribution. However, it is not symmetrical and has a longer tail on the high-speed side due to the fact that there is no upper limit on the speed of particles.

3. What factors affect the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution?

The Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution is affected by temperature, mass of the particles, and the presence of external forces such as gravity or electric fields. As temperature increases, the curve shifts to the right and becomes broader, indicating a greater spread of speeds. Heavier particles have a lower peak and a narrower curve compared to lighter particles.

4. How is the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution related to the kinetic theory of gases?

The Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution is a result of the kinetic theory of gases, which states that the total kinetic energy of a gas is proportional to its temperature. This means that as temperature increases, the average speed of gas particles also increases, resulting in a broader distribution of speeds.

5. What is the significance of the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution in real-world applications?

The Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution is used to describe the speed distribution of particles in various systems, such as gases, liquids, and solids. It has many practical applications in fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering, including the design of gas turbines, understanding the behavior of gas molecules in chemical reactions, and predicting the speed of particles in particle accelerators.