Which rose photo do you prefer from Gertrude Stein's famous quote?

• Thread starter Andre
  • Start date
In summary, the quote is from Gertrude Stein and she talks about how she tried out a new lens and how it worked with available light. The trials she did gave her shutter speeds of 1-2 seconds. She likes the last picture the best because it has the best lighting and the most detail.
Andre
The Quote is from Gertrude Stein.

So I thought that my tripod was too light for the new lens and I got myself a new one. I decided to try it today on a rose, which happened to be available. Working with available light (not a lot), lowest ISO and optimum aperture (F11) gave shutter speeds in the range 1-2 seconds.

So trials with various scenarios gave these results.

29z61ab.jpg

Which one do you like the most? Any other background color that I should try?

I decided to proceed with the last one, tentatively, and the crops in the lower center and right are lize size from that one. The center one as the standard camera jpg output and the right one after some manual processing of the Raw image, some sharpening, white balance adjustment a lot of chrominance noise reduction and a touch of luminance noise reduction.

The result on 25% size:

2n19y4z.jpg

Tips, requests? suggestions? The rose is still available, but obviously it is changing shape fast

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Andre said:
The Quote is from Gertrude Stein.
Beautiful roses. The quote is often misquoted as you have done in the Title. The correct quote is in the link you provided.

Not to derail the thread, but I've wondered why that line isn't just considered a paraphrase (at best - plagarism at worst) of Shakespeare?

Anyway, those pics are nice, but I prefer better lighting, plus having some shadows. They seem a little flat to me.

I like the last picture best. Not that I'm in a position to advise, but how about the strategic placing of an insect, a shallower depth of field, and a single point light source?

I like IMG_6459... I dunno, something about the angle and the way the petals are for the rose is really appealing.

I think if there was a shadow.. Either angled back to the left or right, would make it look 10x better though.

Otherwise, awesome pics :)

I like IMG_6446 the most, also IMG_6456...nice pics

Okay, for Drizzle:

2hcevco.jpg

ilfuxl.jpg

Brewnog, sorry, no cooperative insects around, but a shallower debth of field may not be a good idea:

dwgol.jpg

Then the other suggestions, some variations in light source (filtered sunlight) as well as color tones:

8zjll4.jpg

2unvpsx.jpg

Direct sunlight appears not to be a good idea.

sxhbf6.jpg

Probably some mix of ambient light and a side light to make the texture more prominent will be the best choice, but not having good light sources ad working with just things that are available at home it is challenging.

I like some of the pictures more, but it is hard to name them - I would probably select 6459 for further trials by myself, then I like the one that goes under the file name 8zjll4.jpg. But they differ in size and it means they differ in details - and that makes a tremendous difference when it comes to the overall effect. Pictures that are stunning when displayed full screen often become dull when sized down.

Still, nice work, there is nothing like playing with a new piece of hardware :smile:

Last edited:
Actually there was yet another one that I selected for further trials. This one was all sharpness sacrified to reduce the chroma noise as much as possible together with some creative color management to minimize the tone difference between the petals and daylight.

amzfbk.jpg

The next shot is called "high key" effect but in reality it was invented to minimize the use of printing ink. :tongue:

1pz8z7.jpg

cheers Andre, they look a lot more nicer now :smile:

There happened to be another vase of roses around:

awxpcp.jpg

xl9e1z.jpg

For wall paper perhaps, the same shots here and here, in 1599 x 1066 pixels which seems to be tinypic's limit, Unfortunately it does not allow uploading the original size (4272 x 2848). But pm me and I can mail those.

Last edited:

What does the phrase "A rose is a rose is a rose" mean?

The phrase was famously coined by American writer Gertrude Stein and is often interpreted as meaning that things are what they are. In other words, a rose is simply a rose and nothing else.

Why is the phrase "A rose is a rose is a rose" considered a paradox?

The paradox lies in the repetition of the same word "rose" in the phrase. It suggests that even though we may use different words to describe something, the essence of that thing remains the same.

Is there any deeper meaning behind the phrase "A rose is a rose is a rose"?

Some literary scholars suggest that the phrase reflects the idea of "pure experience" and the simplicity of things in their natural state. Others interpret it as a commentary on the power of language to shape our perceptions.

What does the phrase "A rose is a rose is a rose" have to do with roses?

At its core, the phrase is simply a statement about the nature of language and how it can be used to describe things. However, the repeated use of the word "rose" also emphasizes the beauty and significance of this iconic flower.

How has the phrase "A rose is a rose is a rose" been referenced in popular culture?

The phrase has been referenced in numerous songs, poems, and works of literature. It has also been used in advertising campaigns, and even inspired the title of a book by author Stephen King.