Transistor Biasing: Calculating Ic, Ib, and Power Dissipation

In summary, the problem involves finding the collector and base currents, as well as the power dissipated across a transistor with given values of beta, Vcc, Vbb, Rc, and Rb. However, due to the high base current in this problem, the transistor is in saturation and equations cannot be used. Instead, the base current must be taken into account when calculating the power dissipated.
shaunakde
Problem Statement:
1. Given that the beta of a transistor is 36, Vcc=5v, Vbb= 3.6V, Rc=440 ohm, Rb=640 ohm, find Ic, and Ib. Also find power dissipated across transistor.
Figure: http://yfrog.com/7hdiagram1j
Assume silicon diode. [Ie vbe = 0.7]

The attempt at a solution
I applied voltage equations on the collector and base loop. My equations are:
5 - 440Ic - Vce = 0 ------(1)
and
3.6 -40Ib - 0.7 =0 ------(2)

I got the value of Ib from equation 2.

Now I can't find Ic.
I tried using the following relation:
Ic = beta Ib.
But then Ic comes to 3.625 A which is wrong.

What am I doing wrong? How do I solve this?

Physics news on Phys.org
3.6 -40Ib - 0.7 =0 ------(2)

This has error in number.

3.6 - 640 Ib - 0.7 = 0

Test for what collector current is possible through the 440 ohm resistor. Even if the transistor was shorted, how much current could flow?

Now, work out the base current and multiply it by BETA.

See why the equations didn't work?

In this case, the base current is comparable with the collector current, so you would even have to allow for the power due to the base current.

Just work it out one bit at a time, without equations.
Voltage across 640 ohm resistor=
so current into base =
Voltage across 440 ohm resistor =
so current into collector =

Thanks for the hints. I got one step closer to the right solution.

Since Ic and Ib are comparable [the ratio is less than beta] the transistor is in saturation. ie Vce = 0.25 [standard value]

Using this I was able to figure out the correct Ic and Ib.

I still can't figure out the power dissipated across the transistor.
My guess is that P should be Vce * total currect through transistor(Ic +Ib). But the answer is not matching.

The base current would flow into the base which would have about 0.6 volts across it.

So, you would have to work this power out and add it to the collector power.
The actual power depends on the assumptions about voltage. With a big base current the voltage could be higher than 0.6 volts.

Yes, the transistor is very saturated in this problem, mainly because of the excess base current, so all the equations fall in a heap.

1. What is transistor biasing?

Transistor biasing is the process of applying a specific voltage or current to a transistor's terminals in order to control its performance and ensure it operates within a desired range.

2. Why is transistor biasing important?

Transistor biasing is important because it sets the operating point of the transistor, which affects its amplification and switching capabilities. Proper biasing is necessary for the transistor to function accurately and efficiently.

3. What are the different types of transistor biasing?

The main types of transistor biasing are fixed bias, collector-to-base bias, emitter bias, and voltage-divider bias. Each type has its own advantages and disadvantages, and the choice depends on the specific application.

4. How do you calculate the values for transistor biasing?

The values for transistor biasing can be calculated using various methods, such as the voltage-divider rule, the current-divider rule, and the load-line method. These calculations involve analyzing the transistor's characteristics and the desired operating point.

5. What are the common problems with transistor biasing?

Some common problems with transistor biasing include thermal runaway, where the transistor's temperature rises and affects its performance, and voltage drift, where environmental factors can alter the transistor's operating point. These issues can be addressed through proper design and use of biasing techniques.