Solving for Angles of Tension Homework

In summary, the homework statement is that there are three equal weights, two of them connected to the third by individual strings. If the mechanism is in equilibrium, what are the angles of the strings?
IncognitoSOS

Homework Statement

Three equal weights, two of them connected to the third by individual strings. If the mechanism is in equilibrium, what are the angles of the strings.

Homework Equations

EFi=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

T1=W
so 2T1=t2 = t1
T1=1/2W
So what now?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your problem statement is not very informative. Connected how by individual strings? Is there a picture that goes with this?

Yes, but I don't know how to post it. In essence it is the letter M (with the left, right, and middle being the blocks, and the corners being the massless pulley system. However the only difference is that the center block is attached to a string and that string is what connects it to the other two strings. Think of a M with a Y for the inside (I know that's poorly worded, but I can't think of any other way to explain it.)

You have described it well enough. You need to draw a free body diagram of the "crotch" of the Y and say that the net force on it is zero. There are three forces but remember to add them as vectors. You can say that T1 = W for the bottom force, but it's the vertical components of T2 and T3 that add up to balance T1.

And since the weights of the side blocks are the same as the weight on the center block, we could assume that the angles are 45 degrees each (representing one half of the total weight?

IncognitoSOS said:
And since the weights of the side blocks are the same as the weight on the center block, we could assume that the angles are 45 degrees each (representing one half of the total weight?

No, we cannot assume that. As I said before, you need to draw a free body diagram and balance the vertical components. Cutting corners is dangerous. See what comes out of the equations.

1. What is the purpose of solving for angles of tension in homework?

The purpose of solving for angles of tension in homework is to understand the forces acting on a system of objects connected by strings or ropes. This allows us to determine the direction and magnitude of the tension in each string, which is important in many engineering and physics applications.

2. What are the key concepts to keep in mind when solving for angles of tension?

The key concepts to keep in mind when solving for angles of tension are Newton's laws of motion, vector addition, and trigonometry. These principles help us to accurately calculate the tension in each string and determine the angles at which they act.

3. How do I know which angles to solve for in a given system?

In a given system, you should look for angles that are unknown and have a direct effect on the tension in the strings. These could be angles between strings, or angles between strings and other objects in the system. It is important to draw a clear and accurate diagram to identify all relevant angles.

4. What are some strategies for solving for angles of tension?

One strategy for solving for angles of tension is to break down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts. This could involve drawing free-body diagrams for each object in the system, or breaking the tension vectors into components. Another strategy is to use trigonometric identities and equations to solve for unknown angles.

5. Can I use a calculator to solve for angles of tension?

Yes, a calculator can be helpful in solving for angles of tension, especially when dealing with complex systems or angles. However, it is important to understand the concepts and principles behind the calculations and not rely solely on the calculator. Additionally, make sure to use the appropriate units and round your answers to the appropriate number of significant figures.