Eternal sunshine of the whatever

• Medical
  • Thread starter chhitiz
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of forgetting someone using hypnosis and whether it is possible for the human mind to forget something painful under its influence. The speaker shares their personal experience and suggests that meeting someone else may be the best way to forget. The conversation also touches on the topic of trauma and memory loss.
chhitiz
eternal sunshine of the... whatever

i just saw eternal sunshine of the spotless mind and iwas wondering... can you actually forget some girl using hypnosis?

Biology news on Phys.org

Not sure, but there are a couple I tried to forget in ways less healthy than hypnosis, with less than optimal results. The best method seems to involve meeting another. :!)

I apologize if this is a serious post, I feel your suffering--there was one in my early 30's who I still think of from time to time. But for 6 months my life was absolutely miserable. After a year, I begen to get some normalcy back.

easiest way to forget is to find another girl

i am asking is a medical question. can a human mind, even one very receptive of hypnosis, forget something or something painful under it's influence? i mean some people who been through an accident or some such trauma don't remember what happened.

1. What is the basic premise of "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind"?

The movie follows the story of Joel and Clementine, who undergo a procedure to erase each other from their memories after a tumultuous relationship.

2. Is the memory-erasing technology in the movie based on real science?

While there have been studies on memory erasure and manipulation, the technology depicted in the movie is purely fictional.

3. How does the movie explore the ethical implications of memory erasure?

The movie raises questions about the consequences of erasing painful memories and whether it is morally justifiable to manipulate one's own memories.

4. Are there any real-life applications or potential uses for memory erasure?

While memory erasure is not yet possible, some scientists believe that it could potentially be used to treat conditions such as PTSD or addiction in the future.

5. What does the movie suggest about the nature of memory and its role in shaping our identities?

"Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" proposes that our memories, both good and bad, are an integral part of who we are and that erasing them would fundamentally change us as individuals.