Proving Int. of Even Powers of Sin: A Guide

• Thread starter stripes
  • Start date
  • Tags
    even Sin
In summary, the homework equation uv - \int v du = \int u dvdx can be simplified to: let u = sin^{2n-1}x and dv = sin x dx so du = (2n-1)(sin^{2n-2}x)(cos x)dx and v = -cos x.
stripes

Homework Statement

should be my last question for at least the next few days...here goes...

Prove that, for even powers of sine,

[tex]\int^{\frac{\pi}{2}}_{0}sin^{2n}x dx = \frac{2\cdot4\cdot6\cdot...\cdot(2n - 1)}{2\cdot4\cdot6\cdot...\cdot2n}\cdot\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]
uv - \int v du = \int u dvdx

[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

let [itex]u = sin^{2n-1}x[/itex] and [itex]dv = sin x dx[/itex]
so [itex]du = (2n-1)(sin^{2n-2}x)(cos x)dx[/itex] and [itex]v = -cos x[/itex]

and we get:

[tex]\int sin^{2n}x dx = (-cos x)(sin^{2n-1}x) + (2n-1)\int (cos^{2}x)(sin^{2n-1}x)[/tex]

and i used integration by parts again

let [itex]u = sin^{2n-2}x[/itex] and [itex]dv = cos^{2}x dx[/itex]
so [itex]du = (2n-2)(sin^{2n-3}x)(cos x)dx[/itex] and [itex]v = \frac{1}{2}((sin x)(cos x) + x)[/itex]

then we get:

[tex]\int sin^{2n}x dx = (-cos x)(sin^{2n-1}x) + \frac{2n-1}{2}(sin^{2n-2}(sinx cosx + x)) - (2n-2)\int ((sinx cosx + x)(sin^{2n-3}x)(cos x))dx[/tex]

now I've realized I'm just pointlessly integrating by parts over and over...it's just getting harder and harder (and more difficult to put here on PF!)

If someone could guide me in the right direction for proving this formula, I would appreciate it. Thank you so much in advance!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Did you forget that you have a definite integral?

In addition to remembering that this is a definite integral, so that you don't have that long sum, I would try proof by induction so that I only have to do the integration by parts once.

i knew all along that we have a definite integral, but we still need to get rid of that integral sign on the end of the whole thing, there'll always be that last integral...

our course hasn't taught us enough to integrate that...

1. What is the purpose of proving the integral of even powers of sin?

The purpose of proving the integral of even powers of sin is to understand and establish a general method for finding the integral of functions involving even powers of sin. This can be used to solve various real-world problems in physics, engineering, and other fields.

2. How is the integral of even powers of sin derived?

The integral of even powers of sin is derived using techniques from trigonometry and calculus, such as trigonometric identities and substitution. By breaking down the function into smaller parts and using these techniques, we can simplify the integral and find a solution.

3. Can the method for proving the integral of even powers of sin be applied to other trigonometric functions?

Yes, the method used for proving the integral of even powers of sin can also be applied to other trigonometric functions, such as cosine and tangent. However, the specific steps may vary slightly depending on the trigonometric function involved.

4. What are the practical applications of knowing the integral of even powers of sin?

Knowing the integral of even powers of sin can be useful in various fields, such as in calculating the area under curves in physics and engineering problems, or in finding the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object in motion.

5. Are there any limitations to the method of proving the integral of even powers of sin?

While the method for proving the integral of even powers of sin is generally applicable, there may be some limitations in certain cases. For example, if the function involves complex numbers or if the integral is not well-defined, the method may not be applicable. It is important to carefully consider the assumptions and limitations of the method when using it to solve a problem.