Question on Importance Sampling (Monte Carlo method)

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of importance sampling to estimate a distribution p using samples from another distribution q. The standard importance sampling method involves equal weights for prior samples from q, while weighted importance sampling involves different, normalized weights. However, it is not enough to simply change the weights in the standard method, as it may affect the accuracy of the approximation. The change of measure formula can be used to incorporate the weights in the importance sampling formula.
kasraa
Hi,

Suppose I have N iid samples from a distribution q, and I want to estimate another distributin, p, using those samples (Importance Sampling).

By "standard importance sampling", I mean the case where samples (prior samples. i.e. samples from q) have equal weights ([tex] w_i = 1/N [/tex]).

In the case of "standard importance sampling", I should perform these steps:

1) compute (unnormalized) weights for those sample according to [tex]p(s_i)/q(s_i)[/tex] ([tex]s_{i}[/tex] is the i'th sample from q)
2) normalize those weights
3) then an estimate of p would be this:
[tex] \hat{p} = \sum_{i=1}^N w_{i} \delta(i) [/tex]

(w_i are normalized weights computed at step 2. delta(i) is the Dirac delta function at s_i)

Now consider the case where samples (prior samples, i.e. samples from q) are weighted (differnt weights, and normalized. for example [tex] u_i [/tex]).

Is it enough (justified) to change the (unnormalized) weights (computed at step 1) to [tex]p(s_i)u_{i}/q(s_i)[/tex]?
(multiplying prior weights and "standard importance sampling" weights together?)

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
kasraa said:
... Is it enough (justified) to change the (unnormalized) weights (computed at step 1) to [tex]p(s_i)u_{i}/q(s_i)[/tex]?
(multiplying prior weights and "standard importance sampling" weights together?)

Possibly not, because any Monte Carlo simulation (including importance sampling) is essentially based on approximating the (cumulative) distribution by the empirical distribution, i.e.

[tex] P(x) = Prob[X\le x] = E_P[I[X\le x]] \approx \frac{1}{N}\sum_{i=1}^N I[X_i\le x] [/tex]

where I is the Boolean indicator function and the [tex]X_i[/tex] are taken from distribution P. To change the weights from (1/N) to other numbers you'd need to change the sampling method to ensure that the "weighted" empirical distribution remains a good approximation to the CDF.

However if you do find a way to overcome that, the new importance sampling formula would easily follow from the change of measure formula, with

[tex] P(x) = E_P[I[X\le x]] = E_Q\left[I[X\le x]\frac{dP}{dQ}\right] = E_Q\left[I[X\le x]\frac{p(X)}{q(X)}\right] \approx \sum_{i=1}^N w_i I[X_i\le x]\frac{p(X_i)}{q(X_i)} [/tex]

where the [tex]X_i[/tex] are samples such that

[tex]\sum_{i=1}^N w_i I[X_i\le x] [/tex]

closely approximates Q(x).

Thanks.

1. What is importance sampling in the Monte Carlo method?

Importance sampling is a technique used in the Monte Carlo method to improve the efficiency of estimating the expected value of a function. It involves sampling from a different probability distribution than the one used in the traditional Monte Carlo method, in order to better fit the function being estimated.

2. Why is importance sampling important in the Monte Carlo method?

Importance sampling can be important in the Monte Carlo method because it allows for more accurate and efficient estimation of the expected value of a function. It can also reduce the variance of the estimated value, making the results more reliable.

3. How does importance sampling work in the context of the Monte Carlo method?

In importance sampling, a different probability distribution is used to sample points for the Monte Carlo method, instead of the uniform distribution. The sampled points are then weighted according to the ratio of the target distribution to the sampling distribution, resulting in a more accurate estimation of the expected value.

4. What are the advantages of using importance sampling in the Monte Carlo method?

The advantages of using importance sampling in the Monte Carlo method include improved efficiency and accuracy in estimating the expected value of a function. It can also reduce the computational cost and improve the convergence rate of the method.

5. Are there any limitations to using importance sampling in the Monte Carlo method?

One limitation of importance sampling in the Monte Carlo method is that it requires knowledge of the target distribution, which may not always be available or easy to determine. Additionally, if the chosen sampling distribution is not a good fit for the target distribution, it can lead to inaccurate estimates.