Applying Torque at an angle

In summary, a force of 76.0N is applied at an angle of 24.0 degrees to a box with dimensions 2.69m and 1.04m. To calculate the torque produced by this force about point O, the diagonal was found using the Pythagorean theorem and the force perpendicular was found using the formula Fperpendicular = Fsin(theta). However, the calculation was incorrect due to using the wrong angle. It is important to draw accurate diagrams in order to avoid such errors.
Kamikaze

Homework Statement

A Force F = 76.0N is applied to a box with dimensions y = 2.69m, x = 1.04m. The force is applied at an angle theta with respect to the horizontal as shown. For theata = 24.0 deg, calculate the magnitude of the torque produced by F about the point O.
2je4dad.png

Homework Equations

T=r(Fperpendicular)
Fperpendicular = Fsin(theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

I did pythagorean theorem (a2 + b2 = c2) to find the diagonal (r) at 2.88404m
I then found Fperpendicular by using Fperpendicular = 76Nsin(24deg) = -68.823956N . I then multiplied this by the r I found earlier to find the magnitude of Torque at -198.4911991N. Somehow this is wrong and I don't know how else to do it.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF

Hi Kamikaze! Welcome to PF :smile:

(have a theta: θ and a degree: ° and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
Kamikaze said:
I then found Fperpendicular by using Fperpendicular = 76Nsin(24deg)

wrong angle! :redface:

useful tip: always draw your diagrams fully … if you'd put in the extra lines, you'd see it isn't θ.

1. What is torque and how is it applied at an angle?

Torque is a measure of the force that can cause an object to rotate around an axis. When torque is applied at an angle, it means that the force is not directly perpendicular to the axis of rotation.

2. Why is it important to apply torque at an angle?

Applying torque at an angle allows for a more efficient use of force. It can also be used to change the direction of the rotational motion or to create a moment of force that can be used for various mechanical applications.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of torque when applied at an angle?

The magnitude of torque when applied at an angle depends on the magnitude of the force, the distance from the axis of rotation, and the angle between the force and the axis of rotation. The greater the force and the greater the distance from the axis, the greater the torque will be. Additionally, the angle at which the force is applied can also affect the magnitude of torque.

4. How can torque at an angle be calculated?

The formula for calculating torque at an angle is T = F x d x sin(theta), where T is the torque, F is the applied force, d is the distance from the axis of rotation, and theta is the angle between the force and the axis of rotation. The resulting torque will be in units of Newton-meters (Nm).

5. What are some real-life applications of applying torque at an angle?

Torque at an angle is commonly used in various mechanical systems such as gears, pulleys, and levers. It is also used in sports equipment like golf clubs and baseball bats. Additionally, torque at an angle is essential in many industrial and engineering applications, such as tightening bolts or screws at specific angles.