Solving Iterative Method Homework | Physics Problem Help

In summary, the student is having trouble solving a physics problem that involves using the iterative method. They are trying to plug in a value of x=1.9195 into an equation and then use that result to find a new value for x. However, this is not working because the original value of x is outside of the range for the inverse trigonometric function being used. The student is unsure of how to proceed and is looking for suggestions on how to solve the problem.
maherelharake

Homework Statement

I have a physics problem, but the math part is where I am getting stuck. I have to use the iterative method, which I understand, but I can't seem to get the correct result. My problem is that I have to plug the value of x=1.9195 into an equation f1(x)=(x/10)(x+3). I get a value of 0.9443 for f1(x). I then take that f1(x) and plug it into x=arcsin(f1(x). I am supposed to get something close to 1.9 for the new 'x' but when I do this, I get 1.2. This is strange to me because the sin of 1.9195 is 0.94 but the arcsin of 0.94 is 1.22 instead of 1.9195. Can anyone clear this up for me?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
arcsin(sin(x))=x is only true for x in the range [-pi/2,pi/2]. Do you see why? 1.9195 is outside of that range. 1.22~pi-1.9195. Draw a graph of sin and arcsin.

Ohh ok that makes sense now. Well I am not sure how to proceed with this problem then. Do you have any ideas? I have a function f1(x)=(x/10)(x+3) and f2(x)=sin(x). These two functions of x are equal. I have an initial x value of 1.9195. I am supposed to take this value and plug it into f1(x) and use that result and plug it into x=arcsin(f2(x)). I am supposed to have a convergence on the number x=1.9151. Any ideas on how to do this since this way doesn't seem to work? Thanks again.

What is an iterative method?

An iterative method is a mathematical process that uses repeated calculations to approximate a solution to a problem. It relies on starting with an initial guess and then refining that guess through a series of steps until the desired level of accuracy is achieved.

What are the advantages of using an iterative method?

Iterative methods are often more efficient and accurate than direct methods for solving complex problems. They also allow for easier implementation and can handle problems with changing or uncertain parameters.

How do I know which iterative method to use?

The choice of iterative method depends on the specific problem being solved. Some factors to consider include the type of problem, the desired level of accuracy, and the availability of resources.

What are some common examples of iterative methods?

Some common iterative methods include the Jacobi method, the Gauss-Seidel method, and the Successive Over Relaxation (SOR) method. These are commonly used to solve systems of linear equations, but there are also iterative methods for solving other types of problems.

What are some potential challenges when using an iterative method?

One challenge of using an iterative method is determining the appropriate stopping criteria. It can also be difficult to choose an initial guess that will lead to convergence. Additionally, iterative methods may require more computational resources and take longer to converge compared to direct methods.