Repulsive central force, finding the minimum separation distance

In summary, using conservation of energy and angular momentum, it can be shown that the closest the particle will come to the center of force is at a distance of r_min = SQRT(b^2 + A*v_0^2). The force is related to k, and the minimum value of r occurs at theta = theta_0.
Smack

Homework Statement

A particle of mass m is subject to a repulsive central force Am/r^{3} (A is a constant). At a large distance from the center of force, the particle has speed v_{0} and its impact parameter is b. Use conservation of energy and angular momentum to show that the closest m comes to the center of force is r_{min} = SQRT(b^{2} + A*v_{0}^{2}).

Homework Equations

Well, if u = 1/r, then d^{2}u/dtheta^{2} + u = -Am/[r]^{3}
and l = b*v_{0}

r= (ml^{2}/k) / (1+SQRT(1+2Eml^{2}/k^{2} cos(theta - theta_{0}) ) )

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that somehow the force is related to k, but I'm not sure. I know that the minimum value of r will be at theta equal to theta_{0} but I'm really getting confused...

Physics news on Phys.org
I have the equations, but I just can't figure out how to get the minimum value of r. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

1. What is a repulsive central force?

A repulsive central force is a type of force that acts on an object towards the center of rotation, pushing it away. This is in contrast to an attractive central force, which pulls an object towards the center of rotation.

2. How is the minimum separation distance determined?

The minimum separation distance is determined by finding the point at which the force acting on an object changes from being repulsive to attractive. This can be done by setting the force equation equal to zero and solving for the distance.

3. What factors affect the minimum separation distance?

The factors that affect the minimum separation distance include the strength of the repulsive central force, the mass of the objects involved, and the distance between the objects. Other factors such as external forces and the shape of the objects may also play a role.

4. How does the minimum separation distance impact the motion of objects?

The minimum separation distance dictates the range in which objects can move without being affected by the repulsive central force. If an object moves closer than the minimum separation distance, it will experience a repulsive force and be pushed away. If it moves further than the minimum separation distance, it will experience an attractive force and be pulled towards the center of rotation.

5. Can the minimum separation distance change over time?

Yes, the minimum separation distance can change over time if the factors affecting it change. For example, if the strength of the repulsive force increases, the minimum separation distance will also increase. Additionally, if the objects involved in the interaction move closer or further apart, the minimum separation distance will change accordingly.