How to eliminate phase shift between signals?

In summary, the OP wants to eliminate the phase difference between two voltages and two currents. He tried filters, but they also caused a phase shift. He then realized that the array values represent the phase difference between the voltages and currents.
jak9
hello friends,
I have a voltage and current input signal in simulink which has a small phase shift between the two signals. Is their a way so that i can eliminate this phase difference to zero?
thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Can you not just add some capacitive or inductive compensation to the shifted signal...?

Perhaps a bit of basic electrical theory might be useful before leaping into a simulation? In 'the old days' no one would have expected to understand things if they relied on a soldering iron and a box of components (suck it and see). The only difference between that and a simulation is that a simulation can be modified much quicker.
It could be analogous to monkeys and typewriters, I think.

thanks but can't get your point

Where are the inputs coming from? Why is there a phase shift. Do you know?
I think sophiecentaur is trying to tell you that you should know some basic electronics before you jump into simulation.

thanks...these inputs is an array defined in a workspace...i know the phase shift is because of capacitor which makes the current to lead voltage but i have nothing to do with this because i have to just plot this values in simulink and want to have a zero phase difference so that i can use further for my analysis

jak9 said:
thanks...these inputs is an array defined in a workspace...i know the phase shift is because of capacitor which makes the current to lead voltage but i have nothing to do with this because i have to just plot this values in simulink and want to have a zero phase difference so that i can use further for my analysis

You have just confirmed my original point. It's a simulation. It is there to represent some real situation, involving electronic components, voltages and currents, isn't it?
To answer your question in the way you are asking it, all I can say is that the values in the array make the phase what it is. If you consider what your array actually represents then you may be able to relate things to the action of the components involved. It is likely that, if all the values in that array are real then there should be no phase shift on the input terminal. If that means noting to you then you need to do some circuit theory. Isn't that what your course is about?

yes you are right...its because of the values in the array i tried with filters but they too cause phase and magnitude shift so let see what happens...anyways thanks for all your help and advices

What actual components do the array values represent? That's the important thing, surely.

well the array is voltage values and the other is current values
each array has one column of timevalues and another column of voltage/current values
for e.g: - V(100*2)

jak9 said:
well the array is voltage values and the other is current values
each array has one column of timevalues and another column of voltage/current values
for e.g: - V(100*2)

That didn't answer centaur's question:
sophiecentaur said:
What actual components do the array values represent? That's the important thing, surely.

Are the (V,I) pairs representative of values from a circuit's operation? What is the circuit? Why do you want to change their relationship in phase? That relationship would normally be important in a simulation environment, no?

I think I see where he's coming from. There is an input signal from it-matters-not-where and because it V and I are not in phase it is from a source with complex impedance. The OP uses the term "phase shift" when it just means a phase difference between V and I.
As an exercise, it has just generated some confusion for him ( and the rest of us).
He can:
1. Change the numbers in the input array: that will eliminate the phase difference.:wink:
2. Introduce an RC or RL combination to eliminate the phase difference (at one particular frequency). That is, actually, a straightforward 'exercise for the student' - just the other way round from what we normally come across and just calls for some rearranging of a well known formula.

thanks...these V & I are the reading taken from the battery terminal of a car

OMG, an added complication. Are the variations due to the AC component from the alternator (relatively fast, added to the 13V charging voltage) or due to some quirk of the battery under load (very slow)?
Just when we though we had it all sewn up.

its because of alternator as the output from the rectifier of the alternator is not a pure dc

and the measured V I phase difference is because of the source reactance of the alternator? Fair enough.
In your original question you wanted to eliminate the phase difference - I already posted how to do that. One solution would involve simulating an appropriate (power factor) compensating network between your source and the following simulated circuit.

Is your course about electrical theory or programming? If it's about electrical theory then I still say that you should do some basics before you enter into simulations, which can be fooled into letting you do almost anything. (I have never died whilst landing on a Flight Simulator, for instance).

1. How do I identify the phase shift between two signals?

The phase shift between two signals can be identified by comparing the time difference between the peaks or zero crossings of the two signals. This can be done visually using an oscilloscope or mathematically using Fourier analysis.

2. What causes phase shift between signals?

Phase shift between signals can be caused by various factors such as differences in propagation time, different cable lengths, or variations in the frequency response of the components in the signal path.

3. How can I eliminate phase shift caused by propagation time?

To eliminate phase shift caused by propagation time, signals can be synchronized by using delay lines or by adjusting the sampling rate. Additionally, using equal length cables for each signal can also help reduce propagation time differences.

4. Can phase shift be eliminated completely?

In theory, phase shift can be eliminated completely by using perfectly matched components and cables with identical lengths. However, in practice, there will always be some degree of phase shift present due to imperfections in the components and cables.

5. Are there any techniques for compensating phase shift between signals?

Yes, there are several techniques for compensating phase shift between signals. These include using phase shifters, all-pass filters, or digital signal processing techniques such as phase alignment algorithms. The best approach will depend on the specific application and the amount of phase shift that needs to be compensated.