10 digit serial number that identifies a date

• Thread starter JCAMB
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Serial
In summary: The 10 digit codes I’ve are supposed to represent a date MM/YYYY, and should represent also a reference for a product code.On the examples I present, the product code should be 270 (or maybe just 70!)9997372732 – Date 11/20057279312779 – Date 11/20052330716732 – Date 09/20069471072297 – Date 06/20075373720247 – Date 06/20074473272702 – Date 06/20073027447441 – Date 08/2007Have you considered these numbers don't directly convert to the date?These codes appear to be like bar
JCAMB
Hello,

I have a list of 10 digit serial number that identifies a date, but I cannot understand how?
Does any genius can help me to try to understand it?

The 10 digit codes I’ve are supposed to represent a date MM/YYYY, and should represent also a reference for a product code.
On the examples I present, the product code should be 270 (or maybe just 70!)

9997372732 – Date 11/2005
7279312779 – Date 11/2005
2330716732 – Date 09/2006
9471072297 – Date 06/2007
5373720247 – Date 06/2007
4473272702 – Date 06/2007
3027447441 – Date 08/2007

Thanks in advance,

JCAMB

Physics news on Phys.org
JCAMB said:
I have a list of 10 digit serial number that identifies a date, but I cannot understand how?
Does any genius can help me to try to understand it?

The 10 digit codes I’ve are supposed to represent a date MM/YYYY, and should represent also a reference for a product code.
On the examples I present, the product code should be 270 (or maybe just 70!)

9997372732 – Date 11/2005
7279312779 – Date 11/2005
2330716732 – Date 09/2006
9471072297 – Date 06/2007
5373720247 – Date 06/2007
4473272702 – Date 06/2007
3027447441 – Date 08/2007

Have you considered these numbers don't directly convert to the date?

These codes appear to be like barcodes. They represent a set of data - sepcifically, when checked against a list of codes they can refer product data back to you, such as product name, type, date etc.

Basically, take the number and look for it on a list to find the details related to it. a) saves you storing all the data on the label, b) numbers can be randomly generated.

Given you have multiple values that refer to the same date - but I assume different products, that would seem most likely.

Could be a really simple hash-tag...

edit: That's just a subset of what JnJ already talked about.

nismaratwork said:
Could be a really simple hash-tag...

edit: That's just a subset of what JnJ already talked about.

Ah so there's a name for it. I always call them barcodes / serials (not strictly correct).

jarednjames said:
Ah so there's a name for it. I always call them barcodes / serials (not strictly correct).

Well it's only a hashtag if it was generated using a hash function, but that's pretty common.

JCAMB, where are you getting this from?

Last edited:
Newai said:
Where are you getting this from?

Nismar and myself or the OP?

jarednjames said:

The OP

jarednjames said:

Heheheh, Newai put me on ignore a while back for what I consider pretty funny reasons, so he can't actually see anything I post. Somehow he seems to view this as a plus, rather than a hobble and blind-spot. Here, I'll show you:

Newai: http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/convert-10-digit-serial-number-date-mm-dd-yyyy-t4034155.html

Gives a bit of information, and let's you know that this is related to MS Excel.

@JnJ: Now, he didn't see a bit of that. :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
FtlIsAwesome blocked me not so long ago for that supersonic bird thing. Apparently cold aerospace engineering doesn't get on with him...

Who knows.

Hmm, seems like the OP is pooling is options.

jarednjames said:
FtlIsAwesome blocked me not so long ago for that supersonic bird thing. Apparently cold aerospace engineering doesn't get on with him...

Who knows.

Hmm, seems like the OP is pooling is options.

Fit? Really?! Hmmm... I admit I like the guy... I'm surprised you two don't get along. Still, I tend to find disparate pals, so maybe it's not that surprising.

I would say that I can't see how ignoring something everyone else sees is helpful in any way, for Fit, or Newai.

@Fit: Hey man, give him a chance! :smile:

@Newai: You know I'm stilll madly in love with you right? :tongue:

I admit to being curious as to just what those serials and dates refer to, and why translation back and forth would be needed. I see basic curiosity as reson enough, so maybe I'm blinded to the real why?

nismaratwork said:
I admit to being curious as to just what those serials and dates refer to, and why translation back and forth would be needed. I see basic curiosity as reson enough, so maybe I'm blinded to the real why?

Some form of barcode is my guess.

I'd think they actually have the strip with them, not just numbers.

jarednjames said:
Some form of barcode is my guess.

I'd think they actually have the strip with them, not just numbers.

Hmmmm... I wonder if this is an inventory issue or something else...

edit: If this is the result of a secure hash-function, it's probably one-way without the key.

Hi to everyone,

Thanks for your replays.

I think it’s better to explain what this numbers are and how they work to can have your best help.

I considered also that they could be related with barcodes and had also printed some with this numbers but I didn’t reach to any conclusion.

I’ve also looked to the preview forum but didn’t get to any conclusion!

So these codes are used to be placed manually (by Keyboard) in a machine.

After the machine will just run if the codes are correct! First the reference of the machine must be correct (I think should be 3 digit code), and also the date on the clock of the machine must be minor than the date identified by the code!

Like example I just place the number xxxxxxxxxx on the machine and it does the rest.
Also if I’ve to similar machines with same reference (should be the 3 digits) the 2 can accept the same code!
If for instance one machine doesn’t accept the code I can go to the main clock and place it on a date minor than the one on the code and it will accept it.
If the other machine uses a different product (the 3 digits) it will not accept the code.

Thanks again for your help.

JCAMB

It still sounds like a barcode / serial number comparison.

Enter code, computer checks it against a list, computer says yay or nay.

The only difference is that it's now checking you're using the correct machine.

The only other thing it could be is some lovely algorithm which converts it to a date based on the machine code entered - which is certainly plausible - but I don't see why you'd need such a system as it just adds complications for both users and programmers alike.

1. What is a 10 digit serial number that identifies a date?

A 10 digit serial number that identifies a date is a unique code consisting of 10 numbers that is used to represent a specific date. It is often used in databases and other systems to keep track of dates and events.

2. How is a 10 digit serial number that identifies a date generated?

A 10 digit serial number that identifies a date is typically generated using a combination of the year, month, and day. Each digit represents a specific element of the date and is assigned a numerical value based on a predetermined system.

3. Can a 10 digit serial number that identifies a date be decoded?

Yes, a 10 digit serial number that identifies a date can be decoded using the same system that was used to generate it. By breaking down the numbers and understanding their corresponding values, the date represented by the serial number can be determined.

4. Are there different formats for a 10 digit serial number that identifies a date?

Yes, there can be different formats for a 10 digit serial number that identifies a date depending on the system or organization using it. Some may use a combination of numbers and letters, while others may use a specific sequence of numbers to represent a date.

5. Is a 10 digit serial number that identifies a date always accurate?

In most cases, a 10 digit serial number that identifies a date is accurate. However, errors can occur during generation or decoding, which may result in an incorrect date. It is important to double check and verify the date represented by the serial number for accuracy.