Solving the Displacement of a Catapulted Stone

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the magnitudes of the horizontal and vertical components of a stone's displacement at two different times after being catapulted with an initial velocity of 20.5 m/s at an angle of 41.4° above the horizontal. The attempted solution involved using the equation V=Vo(t)+(1/2)(a)(t)^2, but the incorrect initial velocity was used. It is suggested that if the correct initial velocity is used, the method would be correct.
rover_dude

Homework Statement

A stone is catapulted at time t = 0, with an initial velocity of magnitude 20.5 m/s and at an angle of 41.4° above the horizontal. What are the magnitudes of the (a) horizontal and (b) vertical components of its displacement from the catapult site at t = 1.16 s? Repeat for the (c) horizontal and (d) vertical components at t = 1.70 s.

I tried multiple solutions, but none of them are right, so I do not know what I am doing wrong.

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so I think this is the closest I got to the answer, but I used the equation V=Vo(t)+(1/2)(a)(t)^2 So for the horizontal component at 1.16s I got x=20.5(1.16)+(1/2)(0)(1.16)^2 and I got x=23.78m. For the vertical component I got y=20.5(1.16)+(1/2)(-9.8)(1.16)^2 and y=17.18656m. For 1.7 seconds: x=20.5(1.7)+(1/2)(0)(1.7)^2 and I got x=34.85m for y: y=20.5(1.7)+(1/2)(-9.8)(1.7)^2 and y=20.689.
(I think these were the closest answers I got, but I tried different methods which were all wrong so help is appreciated)

Physics news on Phys.org

rover_dude said:
So for the horizontal component at 1.16s I got x=20.5(1.16)+(1/2)(0)(1.16)^2

The horizontal component of initial velocity is not 20.5

For the vertical component I got y=20.5(1.16)+(1/2)(-9.8)(1.16)^2

The vertical component of initial velocity is not 20.5

So, If I have the correct initial velocity, this method would be correct?

rover_dude said:
So, If I have the correct initial velocity, this method would be correct?

Yes.

Dear student,

Thank you for sharing your attempt at solving this problem. I can understand your frustration when your solutions do not match with the correct answers. Let's take a closer look at the problem and see if we can identify where you might have gone wrong.

First, it's important to always start with a clear understanding of the problem and the given information. In this case, we are launching a stone from a catapult with an initial velocity of 20.5 m/s and at an angle of 41.4° above the horizontal. We are asked to find the horizontal and vertical components of the stone's displacement at two different time points - 1.16 s and 1.70 s.

You correctly used the equation V=Vo(t)+(1/2)(a)(t)^2 to find the displacement at a given time. However, we need to be careful with the values we plug in for the initial velocity and acceleration. In this case, the initial velocity is not just 20.5 m/s, but rather 20.5 m/s at an angle of 41.4°. This means that the initial velocity has both horizontal and vertical components. The horizontal component can be found by multiplying the initial velocity by the cosine of the angle (20.5*cos41.4°), and the vertical component can be found by multiplying the initial velocity by the sine of the angle (20.5*sin41.4°).

Using these values, we can rewrite the equation for displacement as x=xo+Vox(t)+(1/2)(a)(t)^2 for the horizontal component, and y=yo+Voy(t)+(1/2)(a)(t)^2 for the vertical component. Note that xo and yo are the initial positions, which in this case are both 0 since the stone is launched from the origin.

Now, let's plug in the values for the horizontal component at t=1.16 s. We get x=0+20.5*cos41.4°*1.16+0=15.80 m. Similarly, for the vertical component, we get y=0+20.5*sin41.4°*1.16-9.8*(1.16)^2=-3.32 m. These values are different from what you calculated because you did not take into account the initial angle of launch.

For t=1.70 s, we get

1. What is the basic concept of solving the displacement of a catapulted stone?

The basic concept is to calculate the distance the stone travels after being launched from the catapult.

2. What factors affect the displacement of a catapulted stone?

The factors that affect displacement include the angle of launch, the force applied to the catapult, the weight and shape of the stone, and air resistance.

3. How do you calculate the displacement of a catapulted stone?

To calculate displacement, you can use the formula d = v0t + 1/2at2, where d is displacement, v0 is initial velocity, t is time, and a is acceleration.

4. Can the displacement of a catapulted stone be affected by external factors?

Yes, external factors such as wind or uneven terrain can affect the displacement of a catapulted stone.

5. How can you increase the displacement of a catapulted stone?

You can increase the displacement by increasing the force applied to the catapult, adjusting the angle of launch, or using a heavier stone.