Probability distribution of classical momentum

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of finding the probability distribution for a classical definition of momentum using the Schrodinger wave equation. However, it is explained that this is not possible due to the nature of quantum mechanics and the need for a joint probability distribution. The conversation ends with the request for references or pointers to further analyze the topic.
bouken
Suppose I solve the Schrodinger wave equation described in terms of position (as opposed to momentum based description), it gives me the wave function from which I can determine the probability distribution function (pdf) for position with a parameter as time.

I view it as the following, the probability distribution for a random Variable X with parameter t. Now what I would like to do is find the probability distribution for the variable m dX/dt - the classical definition of momentum. Could someone guide me as to how to go about this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe I should elaborate on my purpose. I would like to see whether there is any connection at all between the classical notion of momentum and the quantity derived using the momentum operator

The expectation value of any quantum operator is the result of a classical measurement.

[tex]m\frac{d}{dt}<x> = m<\frac{p}{m}>[/tex]

@Jitbell

I looked at that, but what I want is the distribution of m dX/dt the classical momentum instead of the quantum mechanical description of it.

@LostConjugate

I am looking for the entire probability distribution? Is there a way to find that?

bouken said:
@Jitbell

I looked at that, but what I want is the distribution of m dX/dt the classical momentum instead of the quantum mechanical description of it.

@LostConjugate

I am looking for the entire probability distribution? Is there a way to find that?

The probability distribution is a quantum mechanical expression. I am not sure what your looking for.

@LostConjugate

I am looking for the probability dstribution of m dX/dt which is of course a quantum mechanical object.

Edit: though it represents a classical definition of momentum

bouken said:
@LostConjugate

I am looking for the probability dstribution of m dX/dt which is of course a quantum mechanical object.

Edit: though it represents a classical definition of momentum

Well the probability distribution of x is just

[tex]{f(x)}^*f(x)dx.[/tex]

The probability distribution for momentum is

[tex]\frac{{f(p)}^*f(p)}{2\pi\hbar}dp[/tex]

What you wish to do cannot be done.

Consider measuring the velocity by doing two position measurements at nearby times. That is, we measure the position at time t1, and get result x1. Then we measure the position at time t2 and get result x2. We infer that the velocity was approximately v(x2-x1)/(t2-t1).

The probability that the first measurement would yield a result between x1 and x1+dx was P(x1,t1)dx, where P(x,t)=|ψ(x,t)|2.

The problem is, we do not know the probability that the second measurement would yield x2. This is because the first position measurement completely changed the wave function. We have to know the wave function after the first position measurement (which requires a model of just how the measurement was made, as well as the wave function just before it was made), and then we have to time evolve the modified wave function to get to time t2.

Speaking more generally, the probability distribution P(x,t) does not have enough information in it. What we really need is the joint probability distribution that tells us the probability of the result of a position measurement at one time, given that a measurement at an earlier time yielded a particular result.

Avodyne said:
What you wish to do cannot be done.

Consider measuring the velocity by doing two position measurements at nearby times. That is, we measure the position at time t1, and get result x1. Then we measure the position at time t2 and get result x2. We infer that the velocity was approximately v(x2-x1)/(t2-t1).

The probability that the first measurement would yield a result between x1 and x1+dx was P(x1,t1)dx, where P(x,t)=|ψ(x,t)|2.

The problem is, we do not know the probability that the second measurement would yield x2. This is because the first position measurement completely changed the wave function. We have to know the wave function after the first position measurement (which requires a model of just how the measurement was made, as well as the wave function just before it was made), and then we have to time evolve the modified wave function to get to time t2.

Speaking more generally, the probability distribution P(x,t) does not have enough information in it. What we really need is the joint probability distribution that tells us the probability of the result of a position measurement at one time, given that a measurement at an earlier time yielded a particular result.

Avodyne you made my day. I understand and love this answer

Ok, now here is the next question. How do I find this correlation between successive measurements that you are talking about?

@ avodyne.. You could just give me pointers to the analysis I seek. Any reference which does a treatment that I am looking for would be fine :)

bouken said:
How do I find this correlation between successive measurements that you are talking about?
In quantum mechanics, as I explained, the first measurement changes the state, and we have to specify the new wave function to get the probability of the result of a second position measurement. The new wave function will depend on the mathematical model of the first measurement (such as, set the wave function to zero outside some interval, and keep it unchanged, except for overall normalization, inside that interval).

1. What is classical momentum?

Classical momentum is a measure of the quantity of motion of a particle. It is defined as the product of an object's mass and its velocity.

2. What is the probability distribution of classical momentum?

The probability distribution of classical momentum is a mathematical function that describes the likelihood of a particle having a particular momentum value. It is used to determine the probability of observing a specific momentum in a system of particles.

3. How is the probability distribution of classical momentum calculated?

The calculation of the probability distribution of classical momentum involves using the principles of classical mechanics and statistical mechanics. It takes into account the mass and velocity of each particle in a system to determine the overall probability distribution.

4. What are the different types of probability distributions for classical momentum?

There are several types of probability distributions for classical momentum, including Gaussian, Maxwell-Boltzmann, and Fermi-Dirac distributions. Each of these distributions is used to describe different types of systems, such as gases, liquids, and solids.

5. How does the probability distribution of classical momentum relate to the uncertainty principle?

The probability distribution of classical momentum is related to the uncertainty principle in that it represents the uncertainty in the measurement of a particle's momentum. The more certain we are about a particle's momentum, the less certain we are about its position, and vice versa.