Physics Graduate School in Germany?

In summary, Some people at physikforen.de said that the universities in Germany are good for physics, but that you should check with the universities where you apply to see if they have tuition for graduate school. They also said that the work schedule is good and that the pay is good.
PICsmith
Hello everyone,

Does anybody here attend a university in a German-speaking country or plan on doing so? Or is anybody from Germany/Austria/Switzerland or does anybody live there or have previously lived there? I'll be graduating in a couple years and I'm seriously considering graduate school in Germany or a german-speaking country. Why? I'm not sure exactly why...I speak only English and German so that limits my choices of places to go, and I guess I just want to try something new.

And now I ask you: why should or shouldn't I? Do the public universities charge tuition for graduate school? Is it difficult to get into a graduate program in one of those countries? Is an american diploma equivalent to the the german diplom? Are there many research opportunities? Pros, cons of living/education/working/whatever in Germany/Austria/Switzerland? Any advice or comment is greatly appreciated, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm also interested in this. I'm Canadian, and will soon have a B.Sc in Astronomy (with a heavy emphasis on physics) from a Canadian university. I'm considering a lot of options, and one of them is Germany/Denmark/Sweden.

Hi Silverpig, I don't know how much you know about the universities in Germany but here is a good website to learn the basics about studying/researching/living in Germany,

http://www.campus-germany.de/english

and here you can search universites and see how they are ranked in different categories,

http://www.daad.de/deutschland/en/2.2.9.html?module=Show&tmpl=ha2

Hopefully someone here will come along and enlighten us about the intangibles.

Last edited by a moderator:
A couple guys at physikforen.de gave me some info:

http://www.spiegel.de/unispiegel/
This is the university section for spiegel.de (Der Spiegel is a popular magazine)

http://www.spiegel.de/unispiegel/studium/0,1518,grossbild-409357-328679,00.html
And here is a list on that website that ranks the universities by different programs, physics is on this page.

Apparently TU München as well as die Uni Freiberg and Leipzig are some of the best for physics.

I don't know how much this helps, but I spent 1 month last summer in Mainz, Germany at the Institute for nuclear physics and it was great. The only problem was that I don't speak german, but I somehow managed to understand :smile: with people. If I knew german, I would apply there for gradute school, but since I don't, I'm thinking somewhere in USA/Canada... (I'm from Croatia, Europe).

About work... it was pretty much great, you work kinda like from 9am to 12am (although no one will ask you anything if you are late or missing), then get a break for about 1 hour (I took 2 hours every day :smile:), then work like 2 or 3 hours more. At fridays, work hours are even more reduced - you work until about 2pm.

About tuition, I think there wasn't any at the University of Mainz (however the living expenses aren't small, but I think they aren't small in U.S. either), but you should definately check with those where you apply.

1. What are the admission requirements for Physics graduate school in Germany?

The specific admission requirements for Physics graduate school in Germany may vary slightly between universities, but generally, applicants are required to have a bachelor's degree in Physics or a related field, as well as a strong academic background in mathematics and other natural sciences. Additionally, a minimum GPA of 3.0 or above and a good score on the GRE subject test in Physics are often required.

2. Are there any scholarships or funding opportunities available for international students?

Yes, there are several scholarships and funding opportunities available for international students in Physics graduate school in Germany. Some of the most popular options include the DAAD (German Academic Exchange Service) scholarships, which are awarded to highly qualified international students, and the Fulbright Program, which provides funding for students from the United States. Many universities also offer their own scholarships and fellowships, so it is worth researching the options at your chosen institution.

3. Is it necessary to be fluent in German to attend Physics graduate school in Germany?

While it is not a requirement to be fluent in German, it is highly recommended to have at least a basic understanding of the language. Many courses and lectures may be conducted in German, and it will also be helpful for daily life in Germany. Some universities may also require international students to pass a German language proficiency test before being admitted to the program.

4. What is the typical duration of a Physics graduate program in Germany?

The duration of a Physics graduate program in Germany can vary depending on the specific program and university, but most programs are designed to be completed in 2-3 years. Some universities may also offer accelerated programs that can be completed in 1-2 years, while others may have longer programs that can take up to 4-5 years to complete.

5. What are the career opportunities for Physics graduates in Germany?

Physics graduates in Germany have a wide range of career opportunities available to them. Many graduates go on to work in research and development positions in industries such as technology, energy, and healthcare. Others may choose to pursue careers in academia, teaching and conducting research at universities and research institutions. Some graduates also find job opportunities in government agencies and consulting firms.