Center of mass of solid hemisphere.

In summary, the problem is that the OP did not account for the thickness of the slab when solving for the volume of the disk.
AlchemistK

Homework Statement

I've just started with center of mass, and instead of the method in the book, I tried solving the center of mass for a solid hemisphere using angle as a variable, but the answer didn't match.
A small disk of mass "dm" is taken, which subtends an angle "dθ" at the center.The total mass of the hemisphere is "M". Please refer to the attachment for the figure and my full attempt.
The solutions elsewhere use distance from the center of the hemisphere as a variable.
Where have i gone wrong?

Homework Equations

y(cm) = ∫y dm / ∫ dm = 1/M (∫y dm)

The Attempt at a Solution

Please refer to the attachment.

Attachments

• c.gif
    c.gif
    31.2 KB · Views: 9,049
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
That is not the right volume element. The radius of the chosen disk is not the "same" at the two sides of the infinitesimal angle as the sphere has a definite curvature. What you calculated would be the volume element of a cylinder.

Thaakisfox said:
That is not the right volume element. The radius of the chosen disk is not the "same" at the two sides of the infinitesimal angle as the sphere has a definite curvature. What you calculated would be the volume element of a cylinder.
That's not the problem. The effect on the volume element due to the difference in radii is a second-order effect, so it is negligible. The problem is the thickness of the slab dy varies with θ, and that isn't accounted for in the OP's attempt.

Yes, Vela that's right :)

AlchemistK said:

Homework Statement

I've just started with center of mass, and instead of the method in the book, I tried solving the center of mass for a solid hemisphere using angle as a variable, but the answer didn't match.
A small disk of mass "dm" is taken, which subtends an angle "dθ" at the center.The total mass of the hemisphere is "M". Please refer to the attachment for the figure and my full attempt.
The solutions elsewhere use distance from the center of the hemisphere as a variable.
Where have i gone wrong?

Homework Equations

y(cm) = ∫y dm / ∫ dm = 1/M (∫y dm)

The Attempt at a Solution

Please refer to the attachment.
In your work, you have that [itex]y=R\sin(\theta)\,.[/itex]

So, how is the thickness, dy, related to dθ ?

Lets zoom in at the curved part of the disk, since dθ is very small, it can be considered as a straight line, there in the triangle formed, dy = R sinθ dθ. Using this as the thickness and R cosθ as the radius we can find the volume of the disk, but there will be the part that is left in the 3D triangular ring that is formed, how do I calculate that part? (please refer to the new attachment for the diagram)

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    1.6 KB · Views: 967

What is the definition of center of mass of a solid hemisphere?

The center of mass of a solid hemisphere is the point at which the entire mass of the hemisphere can be considered to be concentrated. It is the average position of all the mass in the object.

How is the center of mass of a solid hemisphere calculated?

The center of mass of a solid hemisphere is calculated by taking the average of the x, y, and z coordinates of all the points on the surface of the hemisphere. This can be done using mathematical equations or through physical experiments.

What factors affect the center of mass of a solid hemisphere?

The center of mass of a solid hemisphere is affected by its shape, size, and mass distribution. For example, a larger hemisphere will have its center of mass closer to the center of the object, while a smaller hemisphere will have its center of mass closer to its surface.

Why is the center of mass important in studying the motion of a solid hemisphere?

The center of mass is important in studying the motion of a solid hemisphere because it is the point at which all the forces acting on the object can be considered to act. This simplifies the calculation of the object's motion and allows for more accurate predictions.

How does the center of mass of a solid hemisphere differ from that of a hollow hemisphere?

The center of mass of a solid hemisphere is located at the center of the object, while the center of mass of a hollow hemisphere is located closer to the surface. This is because a hollow hemisphere has less mass concentrated towards its center compared to a solid hemisphere.