Asymptotic formula for the sum of log(p)/p

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof of the equation \sum_{p\leq n}\frac{\log p}{p}=\log n + O(1), where p ranges over primes, which can be proved using the Prime Number Theorem. However, it is believed that this result can be proven without PNT. The conversation then mentions a proof for \sum_{p\leq n}\frac{1}{p}=\log\log n + M + O\left(\frac{1}{\log n}\right) that relies on this result, but does not provide a proof. The book An Introduction to the Theory of Numbers by Niven, Zuckerman and Montgomery contains a proof of the first equation
A. Bahat
I know that [tex]\sum_{p\leq n}\frac{\log p}{p}=\log n + O(1),[/tex] where [itex]p[/itex] ranges over primes, can be proved using the Prime Number Theorem. However, I was under the impression (which may very well be wrong) that this result is not nearly as deep as PNT and can be proved without it. I ask because I came across an intriguing proof that [tex]\sum_{p\leq n}\frac{1}{p}=\log\log n + M + O\left(\frac{1}{\log n}\right)\text{ for some constant }M,[/tex] using Abel's summation formula to get the error bound, but it depends on this result and applies it without proof. Does anyone know how to prove the first equation without appealing to PNT?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your first equation is Theorem 8.8 (b) in An Introduction to the Theory of Numbers by Niven, Zuckerman and Montgomery. That text doesn't contain a proof of the PNT, so it probably is what you're looking for.

Thank you, that's just what I needed.

1. What is the asymptotic formula for the sum of log(p)/p?

The asymptotic formula for the sum of log(p)/p is given by the Prime Number Theorem, which states that the sum of log(p)/p for all prime numbers up to a given number n is approximately equal to n/log(n).

2. How is this formula derived?

This formula is derived using mathematical analysis and the properties of logarithms and prime numbers. It is a result of the Prime Number Theorem, which has been proven by various mathematicians over the years.

3. Can this formula be used to find the exact sum of log(p)/p?

No, this formula only provides an approximation of the sum of log(p)/p. It becomes more accurate as the value of n increases, but it will never give an exact value.

4. What is the significance of this formula?

This formula has significant applications in number theory and has been used to make important discoveries in the field of prime numbers. It also has practical uses in cryptography and data compression.

5. Are there any limitations to using this formula?

Yes, there are limitations to using this formula. It only applies to prime numbers and does not take into account other mathematical factors that may affect the sum of log(p)/p. Additionally, it is an asymptotic formula and may not be accurate for smaller values of n.