Linear Impulse & Momentum - Distinguishing Impulsive & Non-Impulsive Forces

In summary, the principle of impulse and momentum states that if a force is applied for a very short time, then the force is considered to be impulsive. If the force is applied for a longer time, then the force is considered to be non-impulsive. If a force is applied over a finite distance and time, then the force is considered to be both impulsive and non-impulsive.
tj00343
when applying the principle of linear impulse and momentum , how do I know if the force should be considered impulsive or non-impulsive , how should I know if I should consider it in the equation , I already know that an impulsive force is a force that is applied for a very short time ,but in some problems forces such as the normal force were considered impulsive ,for example , there is one containing a crate where the only forces applied are the weight ,normal force ,and friction and still momentum was not conserved , for example , the princip. of impulse and momentum is m(v1) + ∑ ∫ (F)dt =m(v2)
when do I consider the integral to be 0 and momentum conserved
Thank You

Physics news on Phys.org
hi tj00343! :smile:
tj00343 said:
for example , there is one containing a crate where the only forces applied are the weight ,normal force ,and friction and still momentum was not conserved , for example , the princip. of impulse and momentum is m(v1) + ∑ ∫ (F)dt =m(v2)
when do I consider the integral to be 0 and momentum conserved

i don't understand :redface:

friction isn't for a very-short time …

obviously friction over a finite distance (and time) will change the momentum :confused:

can you give a more specific example?​

And Momentum is conserved only when there are no external forces acting on the system.
∫Fdt gives the change in momentum for both impulsive and non-impulsive forces,so what is the problem?

I thought that momentum is conserved when there are no external forces on the system or the forces acting are non-impulsive forces ...I'm confused because in problems my professor solved , in some problems there was external forces acting on the system ,but they were not considered ,if for example 2 balls collide , their weights and normal forces are external to the system yet we apply conservation of momentum to find their velocities ...

tj00343 said:
I'm confused because in problems my professor solved , in some problems there was external forces acting on the system ,but they were not considered ,if for example 2 balls collide , their weights and normal forces are external to the system yet we apply conservation of momentum to find their velocities ...

ah, but momentum is a vector,

so conservation of momentum is a vector equation

(and so is Newton's second law)

so it works in each direction separately …

in your professor's examples, the weights and normal forces are vertical,

so there is no horizontal external force or impulse,

so horizontal momentum is conserved :smile:

ahhhhh thank youuu tiny tim...and pabloenigma

1. What is linear impulse and momentum?

Linear impulse and momentum are two related concepts in physics that describe the motion of an object. Linear impulse is the product of an object's mass and its change in velocity, while linear momentum is the product of an object's mass and its velocity.

2. What is the difference between impulsive and non-impulsive forces?

Impulsive forces are forces that act on an object for a short period of time, resulting in a large change in momentum. Non-impulsive forces, on the other hand, act on an object for a longer period of time, resulting in a smaller change in momentum.

3. How can we distinguish between impulsive and non-impulsive forces?

One way to distinguish between impulsive and non-impulsive forces is by looking at the duration of the force. If the force acts on the object for a short period of time, it is considered an impulsive force. If the force acts on the object for a longer period of time, it is considered a non-impulsive force.

4. Can impulsive forces cause a change in an object's momentum?

Yes, impulsive forces can cause a change in an object's momentum. This change in momentum is known as the impulse of the force and is equal to the force multiplied by the time it acts on the object.

5. How is the principle of conservation of momentum related to impulsive and non-impulsive forces?

The principle of conservation of momentum states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant. This means that in a system with only impulsive or non-impulsive forces, the total momentum will remain constant. However, in a system with a combination of impulsive and non-impulsive forces, the total momentum can change due to the different durations of the forces.