Distributive property-Subtraction

• Thread starter C0nfused
  • Start date
In summary, when using the distributive property of multiplication, we can treat one set of parentheses as a single number and distribute the multiplication, resulting in the expression (a+b)c+(a+b)d. Similarly, the definition of -x as the additive inverse of x can be proven using the property that a*0=0 and the uniqueness of additive inverses. In addition, the minus sign in expressions such as a-b is considered the same as the addition of the additive inverse, a+(-b). In summary, these concepts apply to real numbers and also have broader applications in vector spaces and fields.
C0nfused
Hi everybody,
1) We have defined the distributive propery of multiplication like this:
a(b+c)=ab+ac and (a+b)c=ac+bc . So when we have (a+b)(c+d) , how do we get the result using the above definition? We just consider one of the parentheses as one number so we get (a+b)c+(a+b)d for example(we think of (a+b) as a number g?)?

2) And one more thing: we define -x as the number that when added to x gives a sum 0. We also define that -x=(-1)x and a-b=a+(-b) (definition od subtraction). So when we have an expression like this: a-b-c+d-e this is considered a sum ? I mean the minus signs in the above expression show subtraction or the above is the same (i mean not only in the result but also in the interpretation of it) as this: a+(-b)+(-c)+d+(-e) ?

The 1st refers to multiplication of reals or generally for scalar multiplication in a vector space or multiplication in a field
The 2nd refers to reals but also generally to addition in a vector space

They may be silly questions but i like to understand things by using only the definitions

Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You're right about 1)
As for 2)
We do NOT define -x=(-1)*x, we prove that statement as follows:
a) For any real number "a", we have a*0=0
PROOF:
z=a*0=a*(0+0)=a*0+a*0=z+z, that is: z=z+z
But, since "z" is a real number, it has an additive inverse -z:
z+(-z)=z+z+(-z) which means 0=z.
which was what we should prove.
b) The additive inverse of a number is unique:
Proof:
Suppose z2 was an additive inverse to z other than (-z).
Then:
0=z+z2, adding (-z) to both sides yields:
(-z)=z2

c) Since x=1*x, we have:
x+(-1)*x=x*1+x*(-1)=x*(1+(-1))=x*0=0, by a).
Bot from b), it then follows that (-1)*x=(-x)

Thanks for your answer. I think that one part was not answered:

"So when we have an expression like this: a-b-c+d-e this is considered a sum ? I mean the minus signs in the above expression show subtraction or the above is the same (i mean not only in the result but also in the interpretation of it) as this: a+(-b)+(-c)+d+(-e) ?"

Oh, yes:
In this perspective, there exists only two operations: Multiplication and addition.
The subtraction a-b is a short-hand notation for the addition a+(-b)

What is the distributive property of subtraction?

The distributive property of subtraction states that when subtracting a number from a sum, you can distribute the subtraction to each term in the sum. This can be represented as a(b-c) = ab - ac.

How is the distributive property of subtraction used in math?

The distributive property of subtraction is used to simplify expressions and equations by breaking them down into smaller components. It is often used in algebra and simplifying polynomials.

Can the distributive property of subtraction be applied to negative numbers?

Yes, the distributive property of subtraction can be applied to negative numbers. The same rules apply, such as distributing the negative sign to each term in the sum.

What is an example of using the distributive property of subtraction?

An example of using the distributive property of subtraction is simplifying the expression 3(5-2). This can be rewritten as 3(5) - 3(2) using the distributive property, resulting in 15 - 6 = 9.

How is the distributive property of subtraction related to the distributive property of addition?

The distributive property of subtraction and addition are very similar. The only difference is that subtraction involves subtracting a number, whereas addition involves adding a number. Both properties allow for the breaking down of larger expressions or equations into smaller ones for easier solving.