Is Black hole complementarity incompatible with Block Time?

In summary: I'm not familiar with Goedel Universe, can you tell me more?I'm not familiar with Goedel Universe, can you tell me more?No, sorry.
Dmitry67
As I understand, complementarity approach claims that there are 2 different stories, for an infalling observer and an observer @ infinity, they are different, but no observer can confirm both.

But it violates the Block Time/Eternalism, where time is a dimension, the whole world is a static solution, so all histories must be consistent (even if physically observers can't verify some aspects of it).

Also, infalling observer has some extra time inside the horizon, she or he can decide to commit suicide while being inside the black hole but before the terrible death by spagettification. For an external observer, all information is radiated from the horizon, but how it might include information about the potential suicide?

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you.
Good to know - because without Block time we add (once again!) the "conscious observer".

Additional question, after looking at your articles.
What's about Second Law of Thermodynamics in GR, specifically in curved spacetime?

I know that there are issues with Conservation of Energy in GR, mostly not because it is not conserved, but because sometimes it is impossible to define what is "to be conserved" in strongly curved spacetime. I expect the Second Law to suffer from the same problem in GR. Am I right?

I don't see any problem with second law of thermodynamics in GR. Why exactly do you think it's a problem? Or perhaps you meant the first law?

No, I meant the Second law.
If "something is conserved" (=const) is not well defined, then "something never decreases" is also not well defined. "Never decreases" means "never decreases in time", assuming that time is smooth enough, so moments "now" and "then" are well defined. Do you agree?

For example, what's about Second law in Goedel Universe?

1. What is Black hole complementarity?

Black hole complementarity is a theory proposed by physicist Leonard Susskind that suggests that the information inside a black hole is not lost, but rather encoded on the event horizon. This theory is based on the principle of quantum mechanics and the holographic principle.

2. What is Block Time?

Block time is a concept in physics that suggests that time is a dimension similar to space, and that all events past, present, and future exist simultaneously. This theory is often used in discussions about the nature of time and the universe.

3. How does Black hole complementarity relate to Block Time?

Black hole complementarity and Block Time are often seen as conflicting theories. Black hole complementarity suggests that information is not lost in a black hole, while Block Time suggests that all events exist simultaneously. Some scientists believe that these theories are incompatible, while others propose that they can coexist.

4. Is Black hole complementarity incompatible with the laws of physics?

No, Black hole complementarity is not incompatible with the laws of physics. It is a theory that is based on existing principles of quantum mechanics and the holographic principle. However, it is still a subject of debate among scientists and further research is needed to fully understand its implications.

5. What are the implications of Black hole complementarity for our understanding of the universe?

The concept of Black hole complementarity has significant implications for our understanding of the universe. It challenges our traditional understanding of black holes and the nature of information and time. It also has potential implications for the study of quantum gravity and the ultimate goal of unifying all fundamental forces in physics.