Question - Universal Speed Limit

In summary: UND in Grand Forks (my alma). you have reciprocity and it'll be cheaper than UM. caveat, it's colder than a sorceress's bosum there (but it must also be in Bemidji) in January/February. also much better student to teacher ratio. cheaper housing. but more boring social life. and too many republicans and religious right, but not as bad as the western part of the state.
Zarathustra1
I understand that nothing--object or influence--can travel faster than c. However, something isn't quite clear to me.

Let's assume we have a solid rod or a cylinder that has any given radius and a light-year in length. If the cylinder is at first at rest, and then we apply a torque to this cylinder at one end, thus giving it angular acceleration, will it take a year for the other end of the cylinder to experience the angular acceleration?

Physics news on Phys.org
however, Zarathustra, Bemdji MN is a cool place. welcome! (have you ever swam or skied in Bad Medicine Lake, a little south of you? i had 30 years ago and thought it was wonderful.)

Integral said:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=98696" asks a similar question. The answer is the same.

Doh, I've been thinking too much about rotational motion lately. Thinking about it in terms of a rope would have been much more convenient in allowing me to answer the question myself.

however, Zarathustra, Bemdji MN is a cool place. welcome! (have you ever swam or skied in Bad Medicine Lake, a little south of you? i had 30 years ago and thought it was wonderful.)

Nope, can't say I've been to that lake (so many lakes around here it's hard to keep track of them all!). Bemidji is dandy indeed, though the BSU physics department is rather under-staffed, so I might end up going down to the twin cities and transfer to the University of Minnesota. Dunno yet though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Zarathustra said:
Doh, I've been thinking too much about rotational motion lately. Thinking about it in terms of a rope would have been much more convenient in allowing me to answer the question myself.
Nope, can't say I've been to that lake (so many lakes around here

not that many as clean as Bad Medicine Lake. it's on MN 113 west of uh.. what's that lake that is the source of the Mississippi? i don't remember the name (but somehow i remember this road, oh... it's Itasca).

it's hard to keep track of them all!). Bemidji is dandy indeed, though the BSU physics department is rather under-staffed, so I might end up going down to the twin cities and transfer to the University of Minnesota. Dunno yet though.

consider UND in Grand Forks (my alma). you have reciprocity and it'll be cheaper than UM. caveat, it's colder than a sorceress's bosum there (but it must also be in Bemidji) in January/February. also much better student to teacher ratio. cheaper housing. but more boring social life. and too many republicans and religious right, but not as bad as the western part of the state.

1. What is the universal speed limit?

The universal speed limit refers to the maximum speed that any object can travel in the universe, according to the laws of physics. It is commonly known as the speed of light.

2. What is the speed of light?

The speed of light is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second (m/s). It is considered to be the fastest speed at which any object can travel in the universe.

3. Why is the speed of light considered a universal speed limit?

The speed of light is considered a universal speed limit because it is a fundamental constant in the laws of physics. It is the maximum speed at which matter and information can travel, and it is impossible for any object to exceed this speed.

4. Can anything travel faster than the speed of light?

According to our current understanding of physics, it is impossible for anything to travel faster than the speed of light. However, some theories, such as the Alcubierre drive, propose ways to exceed the speed of light by manipulating space-time, but they have not been proven.

5. How was the speed of light determined?

The speed of light was first measured by Danish astronomer Ole Rømer in 1676 using observations of the moons of Jupiter. It was later refined by other scientists, including Albert Michelson and Edward Morley, who used the Michelson-Morley experiment in 1887 to measure the speed of light more accurately.