Show that [properties] can be deduced as a theorems, Spivak

by usn7564
Tags: deduced, properties, spivak, theorems
usn7564
Jul1-12, 08:56 AM
P: 52
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Picked up Spivak's Calculus, 3rd ed. and just started. Got to this question and I'm honestly not sure how to start, I looked in the answer book which didn't really clue me in any more.
If I understand the question it wants me to work within the four properties and show that there is no contradiction/they all have to apply? Not a native English speaker so I haven't had maths in English but that's what I got from it.

More interested in how to approach it rather than answers, would assume there's coming a lot more similar questions. Not really done any proof based maths up until now.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Internet co-creator Cerf debunks 'myth' that US runs it
Astronomical forensics uncover planetary disks in Hubble archive
Solar-powered two-seat Sunseeker airplane has progress report
Infinitum
Jul1-12, 09:20 AM
P: 836
Quote Quote by usn7564 View Post
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Picked up Spivak's Calculus, 3rd ed. and just started. Got to this question and I'm honestly not sure how to start, I looked in the answer book which didn't really clue me in any more.
If I understand the question it wants me to work within the four properties and show that there is no contradiction/they all have to apply? Not a native English speaker so I haven't had maths in English but that's what I got from it.

More interested in how to approach it rather than answers, would assume there's coming a lot more similar questions. Not really done any proof based maths up until now.
P10-P12 are properties given in the book previously(which you havent included). You need to prove those properties using the given new ones.
usn7564
Jul1-12, 10:01 AM
P: 52
Ah, Christ, no wonder I didn't get it even with the answers in front of me. Know what direction I'm heading now at least, ta.

Register to reply