Spotting Similar Triangles: Comparing ASA, SSS, SAS, and RHS Methods

• Thread starter thomas49th
  • Start date
In summary, to determine if two triangles are similar, you can use the Angle-Angle (AA) similarity postulate, which states that if two pairs of corresponding angles are congruent, then the triangles are similar. This can be shown through various methods, such as using parallel lines to show congruent corresponding angles, or through other similarity postulates such as Side-Angle-Side (SAS) or Side-Side-Side (SSS). However, these postulates are used to prove congruence, not similarity. To prove similarity, only the AA postulate is needed.
thomas49th
MathsQ6.jpg

I solved both questions, but how do I know that the triangle were similar, I am guessing it's somthing to do with the parallel lines...

ASA
SSS
SAS
RHS

^ I thought these were the ways to spot similar triangles...

Physics news on Phys.org
It's been a long time since I came across those abbreviations, and I don't remember most of it. But you can see that AB and AC are transversals intersecting the parallel lines. Thus angles ADE = ABC and and angles AED = ACB. And, of course, angle A is common to both.

Edit: I now recollect... Angle-Side-Angle, Side-Side-Side... :)

and DAE = BAC and AEC = BAC

so is it AAA -- is there such a similar/congrucy thingy ma jig?

ASA, SAS, SSS, etc, aren't to find that triangles are *similar* - they are for showing the triangles are *congruent* (same size)

To know the triangles are similar, you only need to know that two of the corresponding pairs of angles are congruent (because it follows that since the sum of the angles in a triangle is 180 degrees, the 3rd pair of corresponding angles would also have to be congruent.) Thus, AA is all that's needed for *similar* triangles.
Obviously, angle A is congruent to angle A (reflexive property)
You can do either or both of the other pair of corresponding angles just as you mentioned - it has to do with the parallel lines. "When a pair of parallel lines are cut by a transversal, the corresonding angles are congruent."

1. How are these similar?

The concept of similarity can be applied to various areas, such as objects, ideas, or situations. In order to determine their similarity, one must compare their characteristics, features, or qualities. By identifying commonalities between them, one can conclude that they are similar.

2. How do I find similarities between two things?

To find similarities between two things, you can start by making a list of their characteristics or features. Then, compare the lists and see if there are any commonalities. Another approach is to use a Venn diagram, where the overlapping area represents the similarities between the two things.

3. Can two things be similar in some ways but different in others?

Yes, it is possible for two things to be similar in some ways but different in others. This is because similarity is a relative concept and can be defined differently depending on what is being compared. For example, two cars can be similar in terms of their color and shape, but different in terms of their brand or model.

4. Why is it important to identify similarities?

Identifying similarities between things can help us understand their relationships and connections. It can also help us categorize or group things together based on their commonalities. Additionally, recognizing similarities can lead to new insights or ideas, as we can learn from the similarities and differences between things.

5. Can similarities change over time?

Yes, similarities can change over time. As things evolve or develop, their characteristics or features may also change, making them more or less similar to other things. Furthermore, our perception of similarities can also change as we gain new knowledge or perspectives.