What Lens Power Does a Student Need for Reading Close-Up Without Contact Lenses?

In summary, the student's near point is 0.80 m and the object is at 0.25 m from her eyes. Using the equation (1/f)=(1/-0.8)+(1/0.25), the lens power required for reading the text at 0.25 m is 2.75 diopters. The image distance in the eye, which is the distance between the image of the object and the retina, can be used to calculate the focal length of the "crystalline lens". However, it is not necessary to know this focal length in order to find the lens power. The additional contact lenses can be used to adjust the focal length for closer distances.

Homework Statement

Without her contact lenses, a student can focus an object located 0.80 m to infinity from her eyes. The power lens, measured in diopters, is the reciprocal of the focal length, measured in meters. Assuming that the image distance in the eye is 0.02 m, what lens power does she require for reading a text located 0.25 m from her eyes.

Homework Equations

(1/f)=(1/di)+(1/do)
D=(1/f), where f is expressed in meters

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, the student's near point is 0.80 m, and the object is at 0.25 m from her eyes.
Thus, (1/f)=(1/-0.8)+(1/0.25) and D=2.75
But how does the image distance in the eye come into play? I don't really know what it means by image distance in the eye. Can someone help?
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
This student can focus properly on an object at 0.80 m from her eyes.
This means that she is able to focus the image of this object on her retina which is about 2 cm behind the "crystalline lens". This information can help you calculate the focal length of this "crystalline lens" and then proceed with the question.

The "crystalline lens" has a variable focal length. Muscles on the eye can change the shape of the lens and thereby modify its focal length. Here, when reading at 80cm, the "crystalline lens" was at is shorter focal length.

sorry but i still don't really get it
how does the 0.02 m affect the equation?

1/x + 1/x' = 1/f

with x=0.02m and x'=0.8m

so the focal length (f) of the crystaline lens is appromatively 0.02 m

But you are right, maybe there is no need to know this focal length.

With additional contact lenses (f') you get for a closer distance (x"):

1/x + 1/x" = 1/f + 1/f' = 1/x + 1/x' + 1/f'

and therefore

1/f' = 1/x" - 1/x'

this does not depend on x indeed

1. What are contact lenses made of?

Contact lenses are typically made of soft, flexible plastic materials such as silicone hydrogel or hydrogel. Some rigid gas permeable lenses are made of a harder plastic material. These materials allow for oxygen to reach the cornea, keeping the eyes healthy and comfortable.

2. How often should I replace my contact lenses?

The replacement schedule for contact lenses varies depending on the type of lens. Daily disposable lenses should be discarded after each use, while weekly or monthly disposable lenses should be replaced according to their specified schedule. It is important to follow the recommended replacement schedule to maintain good eye health.

3. Can I sleep in my contact lenses?

It is generally not recommended to sleep in contact lenses, as it can increase the risk of eye infections and other complications. Some extended wear lenses are approved for overnight use, but it is important to consult with an eye doctor before doing so.

4. Are contact lenses safe to wear while swimming?

It is not recommended to wear contact lenses while swimming, as they can trap bacteria and other microbes against the eye and increase the risk of infection. Wearing goggles can help protect the eyes while swimming.

5. Can I wear contact lenses if I have astigmatism?

Yes, there are contact lenses specifically designed for people with astigmatism. These lenses are called toric lenses and are made with different powers in different meridians of the lens to correct the astigmatism. It is important to consult with an eye doctor to determine the best type of contact lens for your specific needs.