Prove by Induction: Sum of Series 1/i(i+1) = n/(n+1)

• Thread starter PFStudent
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Induction
In summary, the conversation discusses rewriting a given sum as a fraction in lowest terms and proving it using induction. It is also shown that the sum is a telescoping series, and the technique of partial fractions is mentioned. The conversation concludes with a question about deciphering constant values in a specific formula.
PFStudent

Homework Statement

Write,

[tex]
{\frac{1}{1\cdot2}} + {\frac{1}{2\cdot3}} + {\frac{1}{3\cdot4}} + . . . + {\frac{1}{99\cdot100}}
[/tex]

as a fraction in lowest terms.

The Attempt at a Solution

Rewriting the problem as a summation,

[tex]
{{\sum_{i = 1}^{n}}{\frac{1}{i(i+1)}}} = {\frac{1}{1\cdot2}} + {\frac{1}{2\cdot3}} + {\frac{1}{3\cdot4}} + . . . + {\frac{1}{n\cdot(n+1)}}
[/tex]

Then considering the first few terms,

[tex]
{\frac{1}{1\cdot2}} = \frac{1}{2}
[/tex]

[tex]
{\frac{1}{1\cdot2}} + {\frac{1}{2\cdot3}} = \frac{2}{3}
[/tex]

[tex]
{\frac{1}{1\cdot2}} + {\frac{1}{2\cdot3}} + {\frac{1}{3\cdot4}} = \frac{3}{4}
[/tex]

This leads to the conjecture that,

[tex]
{{\sum_{i = 1}^{n}}{\frac{1}{i(i+1)}}} = {\frac{n}{n+1}}
[/tex]

How would I prove the above by induction?

-PFStudent

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Assume the statement is true for n=N, then prove true for n=N+1

EDIT:

Your formula should be

[tex]\sum_{i=1} ^{n} \frac{1}{i(i+1)}=\frac{n}{n+1}[/tex]

the last term in your sum (where i = n) is going to be 1/n(n+1). if you take the sum one further (to i = n+1) what will the last term be now?

Hey,

Thanks for the reply rock.freak667 and jdavel.

Assume,

[tex]
[/tex]

is true for k. That is,

[tex]
{{\sum_{i = 1}^{k}}{\frac{1}{i(i+1)}}} = {\frac{k}{k+1}}
[/tex]

Then to prove it is true for k+1, consider the following,

[tex]
{{\sum_{i = 1}^{k+1}}{\frac{1}{i(i+1)}}} = {{\sum_{i = 1}^{k}}{\frac{1}{i(i+1)}}} + {\frac{1}{k+1((k+1)+1)}}
[/tex]

Which reduces to,

[tex]
{{\sum_{i = 1}^{k+1}}{\frac{1}{i(i+1)}}} = {\frac{k}{k+1}} + {\frac{1}{{k^2}+3k+1)}}
[/tex]

However, how do I know the above is true?

In other words how do I know if the proof by induction actually proved it?

Thanks,

-PFStudent

PFStudent said:
In other words how do I know if the proof by induction actually proved it?

Well you basically want to get

[tex]
{{\sum_{i = 1}^{n}}{\frac{1}{i(i+1)}}} = {\frac{(k+1)}{(k+1)+1}}

[/tex]

basically the sum is the same but instead of "n" put k+1

you're missing a pair of parenetheses in your 3rd equation that's leading to an error in the last term of your 4th equation. what should that last term be?

Hey,

Consider the following,

[tex]
[/tex]

Assume it is true for k,

[tex]
{{\sum_{i = 1}^{k}}{\frac{1}{i(i+1)}}} = {\frac{k}{k+1}}
[/tex]

Now, if it is true for k+1 the result expected is,

[tex]
{{\sum_{i = 1}^{k+1}}{\frac{1}{i(i+1)}}} = {\frac{k+1}{(k+1)+1}}
[/tex]

[tex]
{{\sum_{i = 1}^{k+1}}{\frac{1}{i(i+1)}}} = {\frac{k+1}{k+2}}
[/tex]

Then to prove that, consider the following,

[tex]
{{\sum_{i = 1}^{k+1}}{\frac{1}{i(i+1)}}} = {{\sum_{i = 1}^{k}}{\frac{1}{i(i+1)}}} + {\frac{1}{(k+1)((k+1)+1)}}
[/tex]

[tex]
{{\sum_{i = 1}^{k+1}}{\frac{1}{i(i+1)}}} = {\left({\frac{k}{k+1}}\right)} + {\frac{1}{(k+1)(k+2)}}
[/tex]

[tex]
{{\sum_{i = 1}^{k+1}}{\frac{1}{i(i+1)}}} = {{\frac{k(k+2)}{(k+1)(k+2)}}} + {\frac{1}{(k+1)(k+2)}}
[/tex]

Which reduces to,

[tex]
{{\sum_{i = 1}^{k+1}}{\frac{1}{i(i+1)}}} = {\frac{(k+1)(k+1)}{(k+1)(k+2)}}
[/tex]

[tex]
{{\sum_{i = 1}^{k+1}}{\frac{1}{i(i+1)}}} = {\frac{k+1}{k+2}}
[/tex]

Proof.

Thanks,

-PFStudent

Last edited:
Were you required to use induction?

Since
[tex]\frac{1}{n(n+1)}= \frac{1}{n}- \frac{1}{n+1}[/tex]
that is a "telescoping" series and the sum is immediate.

Hey,

HallsofIvy said:
Were you required to use induction?

Since
[tex]\frac{1}{n(n+1)}= \frac{1}{n}- \frac{1}{n+1}[/tex]
that is a "telescoping" series and the sum is immediate.

Could I have proved,

[tex]
[/tex]

by showing that it is a telescoping series? If so, how?

Thanks,

-PFStudent

[tex]\sum_{i=1}^{100} \frac{1}{i(i+1}= \frac{1}{1\cdot2}} + {\frac{1}{2\cdot3}} + {\frac{1}{3\cdot4}} + . . . + {\frac{1}{99\cdot100}[/tex]
[tex]= (\frac{1}{1}- \frac{1}{2})+ (\frac{1}{2}-\frac{1}{3})+ (\frac{1}{3}-\frac{1}{4})+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ (\frac{1}{99}- \frac{1}{100})[/tex]
The last fraction in each pair cancels the first fraction in the next pair (except of course in the last pair). Every fraction except the first and last cancel so the sum is
[tex]\frac{1}{1}- \frac{1}{100}= \frac{100-1}{100}= \frac{99}{100}[/tex]

More generally,
[tex]\sum_{i= 1}^n \frac{1}{i(i+1)}= \frac{1}{1}- \frac{1}{n+1}= \frac{n+1-1}{n+1}= \frac{n}{n+1}[/tex]

Hey,

HallsofIvy said:
[tex]
\sum_{i=1}^{100} \frac{1}{i(i+1}= \frac{1}{1\cdot2}} + {\frac{1}{2\cdot3}} + {\frac{1}{3\cdot4}} + . . . + {\frac{1}{99\cdot100} = (\frac{1}{1}- \frac{1}{2})+ (\frac{1}{2}-\frac{1}{3})+ (\frac{1}{3}-\frac{1}{4})+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ (\frac{1}{99}- \frac{1}{100})
[/tex]

The last fraction in each pair cancels the first fraction in the next pair (except of course in the last pair). Every fraction except the first and last cancel so the sum is
[tex]\frac{1}{1}- \frac{1}{100}= \frac{100-1}{100}= \frac{99}{100}[/tex]

More generally,
[tex]\sum_{i= 1}^n \frac{1}{i(i+1)}= \frac{1}{1}- \frac{1}{n+1}= \frac{n+1-1}{n+1}= \frac{n}{n+1}[/tex]

Thanks HallsofIvy for showing how it could have been proved by showing it was a telescoping sum.

However, how would you know that the individual sums can be rewritten as the sum or difference of two fractions. In other words, how did you figure out the following,

[tex]
\sum_{i=1}^{100} \frac{1}{i(i+1}= \frac{1}{1\cdot2}} + {\frac{1}{2\cdot3}} + {\frac{1}{3\cdot4}} + . . . + {\frac{1}{99\cdot100} = \left(\frac{1}{1}-\frac{1}{2}\right) + \left(\frac{1}{2}-\frac{1}{3}\right)+ \left(\frac{1}{3}-\frac{1}{4}\right) + \cdot\cdot\cdot + \left(\frac{1}{99}- \frac{1}{100}\right)
[/tex]

That is, how did you figure out that,

[tex]
{{\sum_{i = 1}^{n}}{\frac{1}{i(i+1)}}} = {\left({{\frac{A_{1}}{1}}-{\frac{B_{1}}{2}}}\right)} + {\left({{\frac{A_{2}}{2}}-{\frac{B_{2}}{3}}}\right)} +. . . + {\left({{\frac{A_{n}}{n}}-{\frac{B_{n}}{n+1}}}\right)}
[/tex]

Additionally, is finding the above the same as using the technique of partial fractions?

Also, what is the general way of finding [tex]A[/tex] and [tex]C[/tex] for the following (where: [tex]B, D, E, and{\textcolor[rgb]{1.00,1.00,1.00}{.}}F[/tex]; are all given),

[tex]
{\frac{E}{F}} = {{{\frac{A}{B}}\pm{\frac{C}{D}}}}
[/tex]

Where it can be shown that,

[tex]
{E} = {AD \pm BC}
[/tex]

[tex]
{F} = {BD}
[/tex]

Which is the same as,

[tex]
{\frac{E}{F}} = {\frac{AD \pm BC}{BD}}
[/tex]

Thanks,

-PFStudent

Last edited:
Hey,

I was looking over this and realized that the following,

[tex]
{{\sum_{i = 1}^{n}}{\frac{1}{i(i+1)}}} = {\left({{\frac{A_{1}}{1}}-{\frac{B_{1}}{2}}}\right)} + {\left({{\frac{A_{2}}{2}}-{\frac{B_{2}}{3}}}\right)} +. . . + {\left({{\frac{A_{n}}{n}}-{\frac{B_{n}}{n+1}}}\right)}
[/tex]

Was better written as,

[tex]
{{\sum_{i = 1}^{n}}{\frac{1}{i(i+1)}}} = {\left({{\frac{C_{1}}{1}}-{\frac{C_{2}}{2}}}\right)} + {\left({{\frac{C_{2}}{2}}-{\frac{C_{3}}{3}}}\right)} + {\cdot} {\cdot} {\cdot} + {\left({{\frac{C_{n-1}}{n-1}}-{\frac{C_{n}}{n}}}\right)} + {\left({{\frac{C_{n}}{n}}-{\frac{C_{n+1}}{n+1}}}\right)}
[/tex]

But, I'm still having some trouble figuring how would one decipher what the constants "C" must be.

Thanks,

-PFStudent

[tex]\sum_{n=1} ^{N} \frac{1}{n(n+1)} \equiv \sum_{n=1} ^{N} (\frac{1}{n}-\frac{1}{n+1})[/tex]

Use partial fractions on 1/n(n+1)

[tex]\sum_{n=1} ^{N} \frac{1}{n}-\frac{1}{n+1}[/tex]

then input n=1,2,3,...,N-2,N-1,N. then add them all up.

Hey,

rock.freak667 said:
[tex]\sum_{n=1} ^{N} \frac{1}{n(n+1)} \equiv \sum_{n=1} ^{N} (\frac{1}{n}-\frac{1}{n+1})[/tex]

Use partial fractions on 1/n(n+1)

[tex]\sum_{n=1} ^{N} \frac{1}{n}-\frac{1}{n+1}[/tex]

then input n=1,2,3,...,N-2,N-1,N. then add them all up.

I see that however, how would you have figured out what the constants for the partial fractions of,

[tex]
{{\sum_{i = 1}^{n}}{\frac{1}{i(i+1)}}}
[/tex]

would be?

In other words, how would you have solved the following,

[tex]{{\sum_{i = 1}^{n}}{\frac{1}{i(i+1)}}} = {\left({{\frac{C_{1}}{1}}-{\frac{C_{2}}{2}}}\right)} + {\left({{\frac{C_{2}}{2}}-{\frac{C_{3}}{3}}}\right)} + {\cdot} {\cdot} {\cdot} + {\left({{\frac{C_{n-1}}{n-1}}-{\frac{C_{n}}{n}}}\right)} + {\left({{\frac{C_{n}}{n}}-{\frac{C_{n+1}}{n+1}}}\right)}[/tex]

for: [tex]C_{1}, C_{2}, C_{3},..., C_{n-1}, C_{n}[/tex]?

That is where I am stuck.

Thanks,

-PFStudent

I don't think you need to do all of that.

Hey,

rock.freak667 said:
I don't think you need to do all of that.

Thanks for the reply, rock.freak667. Your right I did not need to prove that it is a telescoping sum.

However, I still would like to know how would one have realized that,

[tex]
{{\sum_{i = 1}^{n}}{\frac{1}{i(i+1)}}}
[/tex]

is a telescoping sum?

Further after the above realization one would have had to solve for the constants: [tex]C_{1}, C_{2}, C_{3},..., C_{n-1}, C_{n}[/tex]; for the following,

[tex]
{{\sum_{i = 1}^{n}}{\frac{1}{i(i+1)}}} = {\left({{\frac{C_{1}}{1}}-{\frac{C_{2}}{2}}}\right)} + {\left({{\frac{C_{2}}{2}}-{\frac{C_{3}}{3}}}\right)} + {\cdot} {\cdot} {\cdot} + {\left({{\frac{C_{n-1}}{n-1}}-{\frac{C_{n}}{n}}}\right)} + {\left({{\frac{C_{n}}{n}}-{\frac{C_{n+1}}{n+1}}}\right)}
[/tex]

And that is, what I wanted to know. How do you do that?

Thanks,

-PFStudent

Last edited:

What is mathematical induction?

Mathematical induction is a proof technique used to prove statements about mathematical objects that have a recursive or "step-by-step" structure, such as natural numbers or sequences. It involves proving that a statement is true for a base case, typically the first value in the sequence, and then showing that if the statement is true for one value, it must also be true for the next value.

How does mathematical induction work?

Mathematical induction works by first proving that a statement is true for a base case, such as n=1. Then, the inductive hypothesis assumes that the statement is true for some value k, and the inductive step proves that if the statement is true for k, it must also be true for k+1. This establishes that the statement is true for all values greater than or equal to the base case, and therefore, the statement is true for all values of the sequence.

How is mathematical induction used to prove the sum of series 1/i(i+1) = n/(n+1)?

To prove the sum of the series 1/i(i+1) using mathematical induction, we first show that the statement is true for the base case, n=1. Then, we assume that the statement is true for some value k, and use this to show that the statement is also true for k+1. Finally, we can conclude that the statement is true for all values of n, and therefore, the sum of the series 1/i(i+1) = n/(n+1).

What are the steps to prove the sum of series 1/i(i+1) = n/(n+1) using mathematical induction?

The steps to prove the sum of the series 1/i(i+1) = n/(n+1) using mathematical induction are as follows:

1. Show that the statement is true for the base case, n=1. In this case, the sum of the series is 1/(1+1) = 1/2, which is equal to 1/(1+1).
  2. Assume that the statement is true for some value k. In other words, assume that the sum of the series 1/i(i+1) = k/(k+1).
  3. Use the inductive hypothesis to show that the statement is also true for k+1. In this case, we can show that the sum of the series 1/i(i+1) = (k+1)/((k+1)+1) = (k+1)/(k+2).
  4. Conclude that the statement is true for all values of n, and therefore, the sum of the series 1/i(i+1) = n/(n+1).

What are some other examples of using mathematical induction to prove statements about sequences?

Some other examples of using mathematical induction to prove statements about sequences include proving the sum of the first n positive integers is equal to n(n+1)/2, proving the closed form expression for the Fibonacci sequence, and proving properties of recursive functions such as the Tower of Hanoi puzzle.