Planning a PF Friends Meeting in Allieres France - April 2010

• Thread starter Andre
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Friends
In summary, Lisa has been entertaining the thought to organize a meeting with PF friends, and dialogueing in chat about it yesterday, she felt enough encouragement to proceed. If there are enough firm indications and commitments to visit, it can be done, and at resonable costs. And she is more than happy to organize things. The whereabouts are http://web.mac.com/stoterr/Site_4/Welcome.html and http://web.mac.com/stoterr/Site_4/Welcome_files/Montcru.jpg. The time is second half of April 2010. The duration, coming transatlantic, minimum stay would be a week at least, I would think to deal with jet lag, while
Andre
So I have been entertaining the thought to organize a meeting with PF friends, and dialogueing in chat about it yesterday, I felt enough encouragement to proceed.

If there are enough firm indications and commitments to visit, it can be done, and at resonable costs. And I'm more than happy to organize things.

The whereabouts.

http://web.mac.com/stoterr/Site_4/Welcome.html [Broken]:

http://web.mac.com/stoterr/Site_4/Welcome_files/Montcru.jpg [Broken]

It's in southern France close to the Pyrenee mountains. Try 'Allieres France' in google maps to get an idea.

The time.

Balancing all factors, second half of April 2010 seems to be the best. Air fares and other costs are still on minimum rates, while the spring is at it's best. It would not be the first time when the swimming pool was already in use at that time. No guarantee however.

The duration, coming transatlantic, minimum stay would be a week at least, I would think to deal with jet lag, while we fill the time with hiking, horseback riding, swimming or skiing or just having parties with bbq, whatever. Two weeks would be no problem either, each on individual wishes.

Of course there are minimum and maximum attendance numbers, accommodation wise, but we could deal with that as it arises.

So what do you think, would you come? Any caveats?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds fantastic!

Interesting idea :smile:

Define 'reasonable cost'.

Not that I will be able to say something before late December.

It's my sisters place, Borek, so it's not really intended to be commercial. It would depend much on number of participants and conditions. But she must at least be able to buy the food and wine and clean the sheets and things like that.

But won't be much, not really close to hotel costs.

Ah man I wish I were on more friendly terms with all you guys :P Always wanted to go to Europe. It'd probably be weird since most people here are probably twice my age :| haha

Sorry! said:
Ah man I wish I were on more friendly terms with all you guys :P Always wanted to go to Europe. It'd probably be weird since most people here are probably twice my age :| haha

That doesn't mean we're not fun :tongue2:!

Sorry! said:

now you are sorry

Borek said:
Define 'reasonable cost'.

More about costs, it would make a big difference, if we ask my sister to cook or if we use the big kitchen in the "gite" and each of us shows his kitchen skills to the others, by cooking her/his favorite dish and asking my sisters family to join us with dinner.

waht said:
now you are sorry

hahahaha! and I don't doubt you guys are 'fun' lisa ;)

Sounds like a great idea. There's no way that I could participate, but I look forward to seeing the pictures.

Ah pictures, yes good idea, Dan, really too bad that you can't come.

But it's a photographers paradise, Borek!

mre8f9.jpg

33b20j9.jpg

35ndie8.jpg

ddeyds.jpg

2vua62e.jpg

I wonder if my niece has a bf again.

You have posted some of these pictures earlier, so I know its a beautiful place :smile:

I can't give a firm commitment at this point, but it sounds like a great idea.

Andre said:
More about costs, it would make a big difference, if we ask my sister to cook or if we use the big kitchen in the "gite" and each of us shows his kitchen skills to the others, by cooking her/his favorite dish and asking my sisters family to join us with dinner.
oooh, cooking would be fun, too bad turbo cvan't go!

MIH and I have voluteered to be the bar wenches.

Oh, it looks wonderful! Unfortunately, I know I'm already booked with other commitments at the end of April, so can't even toy with the idea. :frown:

Beautiful home, beautiful location, wonderful countryside, it's tempting. I've already got the beginning of April booked for travel for my mother's birthday, but I could make a mad attempt at swinging this, however I wouldn't go without Moonbear. :smile:

I met my sister last weekend and we discussed the event. She is very happy to host it and the format, timing etc can indeed be adapted to exactly what we like. Everything is open. So any ideas? comments?

Too early for any declarations for me.

Borek said:
Too early for any declarations for me.

I think a lot of folks are in that same position.

However, for US PFers who are even remotely considering it...start now to http://travel.state.gov/passport/passport_1738.html", especially if it's your first one. I've heard getting your first one can take several weeks, maybe a couple months.

I think renewing it doesn't take as long, though.

Mine's up to date :biggrin:.

lisab said:
However, for US PFers who are even remotely considering it...start now to http://travel.state.gov/passport/passport_1738.html", especially if it's your first one. I've heard getting your first one can take several weeks, maybe a couple months.

You're kidding, right? Please don't say that US PFers are amongst those in the the US without a passport!

cristo said:
You're kidding, right? Please don't say that US PFers are amongst those in the the US without a passport!

I certainly hope there aren't many!

Which reminds me that I should renew my passport, if I plan to move outside of the Schengen area...

Is that your sister in the picture with the two horses? Does she have a wig? (the hair on top looks a little thin) Have I just managed to get myself banned from consideration for the reunion? What do I have to do to the bar wenches to get banned? To get a lifetime "get out of banning free" card?

Evo said:
oooh, cooking would be fun, too bad turbo cvan't go!
It's a real pain! I'd love to cook for you guys and show off some of the "good food on the cheap" tricks that I learned from my families. I love to cook for groups of people, and haven't really had the chance to do that for a long time due to the prevalence of fragrances, scented laundry products, etc.

cristo said:
I let mine lapse after traveling by air got life-threatening. By now, it would be a death-sentence for me to get on a trans-Atlantic flight. Maybe I could ship myself in big box, packed in activated charcoal...

BobG said:
Is that your sister in the picture with the two horses? Does she have a wig? (the hair on top looks a little thin)

:uhh: That seems to be her brother, having a bad hair day. The girl on the other picture on Anubis' back is a niece of that brother :tongue:

Borek said:
Which reminds me that I should renew my passport, if I plan to move outside of the Schengen area...

Is Poland Schengen? I never knew that!

Not very long - I don't remember exact date, but it was about 2 years ago. In summer 2007 we were not yet, as I remember crossing border to Czech Republic. Not that we were checked in any way, but the border control existed.

Wikied: Decemebr 21st, 2007.

cristo said:

I know what you are aiming at, but honestly - I can easily imagine people living in such a huge country and not having any occasion/need to travel outside. While it may sound a little bit strange I am a solitary type and I like new views, but I don't feel a need to meet new people (the emptier the place, the better) - and I suppose US with its variety of landscapes would suit all my needs :wink:

turbo-1 said:
I let mine lapse after traveling by air got life-threatening. By now, it would be a death-sentence for me to get on a trans-Atlantic flight. Maybe I could ship myself in big box, packed in activated charcoal...
You know what this means right, the next US-reunion will be us setting up camp in your back garden. Now if you train your dog to chase away anyone who does not follow the fragrance-free code of conduct, we could all check out your amazing chillies :biggrin:

I'm craving for a vacation, I just need to get my thesis finished. How much time in advance does your sister need to have an indication of the plans?

Monique said:
You know what this means right, the next US-reunion will be us setting up camp in your back garden. Now if you train your dog to chase away anyone who does not follow the fragrance-free code of conduct, we could all check out your amazing chillies :biggrin:

I second that. Excellent plan.

Monique said:
I'm craving for a vacation, I just need to get my thesis finished. How much time in advance does your sister need to have an indication of the plans?

No problem Monique, anything goes. One day, no problem.

Also, the car going there has some spare places left.

I have tentatively proposed April (second half) because the air fares are still out of season and the spring is usually nice, warm enough to bbq on the patio and maybe for swimming. However, it's all open for discussion.

Monique said:
That might work out OK. I'd have to tone down my best stuff except for Astronuc and the more adventurous souls among us. I could make chili con carne, spicy thin-crust pizzas, hot marinated grilled shrimp, grilled jalapeno poppers...

For variety, I could make French soup, New England boiled dinners, grilled steaks with "dirty" mashed potatoes (mashed with onions and garlic), curried chicken and rice...

If people would be fragrance-free and not abuse my kitchen utensils, I would let them cook their own stuff in my kitchen, too. I'd love to see what George Jones' wife might whip up.

Could I do the cocq au vin and the quiche? Turbo or a plain Dutch hutspot?

<h2>1. What is the purpose of the PF Friends Meeting in Allieres France in April 2010?</h2><p>The purpose of the PF Friends Meeting is to bring together scientists from different fields to share their research, collaborate, and discuss current issues in their respective fields.</p><h2>2. Who can attend the PF Friends Meeting in Allieres France in April 2010?</h2><p>The meeting is open to all scientists, researchers, and academics who are interested in participating and contributing to the discussions and workshops.</p><h2>3. How can I register for the PF Friends Meeting in Allieres France in April 2010?</h2><p>Registration can be done online through the official website of the meeting. There will also be on-site registration available during the event.</p><h2>4. What are the accommodation options for the PF Friends Meeting in Allieres France in April 2010?</h2><p>Participants can choose to stay at the designated conference hotel or make their own arrangements at nearby hotels or Airbnb rentals. A list of recommended accommodations will be provided on the meeting website.</p><h2>5. Will there be any social events or activities during the PF Friends Meeting in Allieres France in April 2010?</h2><p>Yes, there will be networking events and social activities planned throughout the meeting to encourage interactions and foster collaborations among attendees. Details of these events will be announced closer to the date of the meeting.</p>

1. What is the purpose of the PF Friends Meeting in Allieres France in April 2010?

The purpose of the PF Friends Meeting is to bring together scientists from different fields to share their research, collaborate, and discuss current issues in their respective fields.

2. Who can attend the PF Friends Meeting in Allieres France in April 2010?

The meeting is open to all scientists, researchers, and academics who are interested in participating and contributing to the discussions and workshops.

3. How can I register for the PF Friends Meeting in Allieres France in April 2010?

Registration can be done online through the official website of the meeting. There will also be on-site registration available during the event.

4. What are the accommodation options for the PF Friends Meeting in Allieres France in April 2010?

Participants can choose to stay at the designated conference hotel or make their own arrangements at nearby hotels or Airbnb rentals. A list of recommended accommodations will be provided on the meeting website.

5. Will there be any social events or activities during the PF Friends Meeting in Allieres France in April 2010?

Yes, there will be networking events and social activities planned throughout the meeting to encourage interactions and foster collaborations among attendees. Details of these events will be announced closer to the date of the meeting.