Trinomial and Multinomial theorem

• Thread starter RandomMystery
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary, the notation shown in Wikipedia and the given article is a multinomial coefficient, which is a generalization of the binomial coefficient. It is represented by the sigma symbol and is meant to be summed over all triples i, j, k where i, j, k ≥ 0 and i + j + k = n. This notation can also be represented by writing i + j + k = n under the sigma symbol. It is used to determine the number of ways to make i + j + k = n, where i, j, k ≥ 0, through the use of Pascal's Triangle.
RandomMystery
I can't understand the sum notation shown in Wikipedia or in this article:

http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/view/53159.html

I want to find the sum notation for (a+b+c)^n
however I can't understand the sum notation:

a3b5ea89c1417ff4ef0c05ea0b7a43a6.png

I don't understand the use of brackets or what they mean here and in the binomial theorem.

I think they are what Wikipedia calls the binomial coefficient:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binomial_theorem

I also don't understand, is that they are taking the some from i,k,j to what? Shouldn't their be a number on top of the sigma?

I would appreciate the help!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The notation here is a so-called multinomial coefficient, which is a generalization of a binomail coefficient. The definition is

[tex]\binom{n}{a,b,c}=\frac{n!}{a!b!c!}[/tex]

A binomial coefficient

[tex]\binom{n}{k}[/tex]

then equal the multinomial coefficient

[tex]\binom{n}{k,n-k}[/tex]

RandomMystery said:
I can't understand the sum notation shown in Wikipedia or in this article:

http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/view/53159.html

I want to find the sum notation for (a+b+c)^n
however I can't understand the sum notation:

a3b5ea89c1417ff4ef0c05ea0b7a43a6.png

[snip]

I also don't understand, is that they are taking the some from i,k,j to what? Shouldn't their be a number on top of the sigma?

I would appreciate the help!
Adding to Micromass's remarks, the summation is meant to be over all triples i, j, k where [itex]i \ge 0, j \ge 0, k \ge 0[/itex] and [itex]i+j+k=n[/itex]

Okay, thanks but I still don't understand the multi variable summation notation-

What does the i,j,k under the sigma represent and why is there nothing on "top" of the sigma?

Does this notation also assume that:

"the summation is meant to be over all triples i, j, k where i≥0,j≥0,k≥0 and
i+j+k=n"

are must this be stated separately from the Summation?

There should be something in the text saying that the summation is over i,j,k where i+j+k=n. Sometimes you will see i+j+k=n written under the summation symbol instead.

It doesn't matter for i+j+k=n is over or under the summation symbol. It means how many ways to make i+j+k=n, where i,j,k≥ 0.
For example: (a+b+c)3
i+j+k=3
How many ways to make i+j+k=3?
3+0+0=3 => i=3,j=0,k=0
0+3+0=3 => i=0,j=3,k=0
0+0+3=3 => i=0,j=0,k=3
1+1+1=3 => i=1,j=1,k=1
2+1+0=3 => i=2,j=1,k=0
2+0+1=3 => i=2,j=0,k=1
1+2+0=3 => i=1,j=2,k=0
1+0+2=3 => i=1,j=0,k=2
0+2+1=3 => i=0,j=2,k=1
0+1+2=3 => i=0,j=1,k=2

Another way to expand (a+b+c)n is using Pascal's Triangle.

What is the difference between trinomial and multinomial theorem?

The trinomial theorem is an expansion of a trinomial expression, while the multinomial theorem is an expansion of a polynomial expression with more than three terms.

What is the formula for the trinomial theorem?

The formula for the trinomial theorem is (a + b + c)^n = ∑(n, i=0) [n!/i!(n-i)!] * a^(n-i) * b^i * c^i, where n is the power of the trinomial expression and a, b, and c are the three terms.

How is the multinomial theorem used?

The multinomial theorem is used to expand a polynomial expression with any number of terms to a given power. It is useful in simplifying and solving complex mathematical problems involving polynomial expressions.

What is the purpose of using the trinomial and multinomial theorems?

The main purpose of using these theorems is to expand polynomial expressions and make complex calculations simpler. They are also used in various fields of mathematics, such as probability and statistics, to solve problems involving large polynomial expressions.

Can the trinomial and multinomial theorems be applied to negative and fractional powers?

Yes, they can be applied to negative and fractional powers. However, the resulting expressions may contain negative or fractional terms, which may need further simplification using other mathematical techniques.