Ferrite magnet as toroid transformer

In summary, a ferrite magnet is a type of permanent magnet used in toroid transformers. It is made of iron oxide and other metal oxides, creating a ceramic-like material that is highly magnetized. This type of magnet is commonly used in electronic devices due to its ability to efficiently transfer energy and its compact size. It is also highly resistant to demagnetization and can withstand high temperatures, making it a durable and reliable choice for transformer applications.
ramonegumpert
Dear Experts

I have a 1.5 cm ring magnet, you know, the black color type of common low magnetic power magnet.

I wrapped 5 turns of copper wire around it on one side and then wrapped 10 rounds of another copper wire around it . I connected 5v battery to the 2 ends of the primary coil which is the 5 turn winding.

I then measured with volt meter the secondary coil. I did not see the output voltage at the secondary coil increase.

This is my noobie attempt. Please comment what could be wrong.

Can a ferrite magnet be used to step up voltage?

I want to step up the voltage by around 2 volts.

Many Thanks.

regards
Ramone

Engineering news on Phys.org
Transformers only work on AC signals, so you would have to switch your battery current on and off through the primary winding to see anything on the secondary.

However, a ferrite magnet would be a poor choice for a transformer core. Better options would be normal ferrite or soft iron laminations from a transformer.

Are you talking about a toroidal "refrigerator" permanent magnet made of "hard" ferrite? You will need up to 300,000 amp-turns per meter. See attached table from http://www.what-are-magnets.com/10STRONTIUMCERAMIC.HTM

Attachments

• Hard_ferrite.jpg
    Hard_ferrite.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 994
Dear Experts
So , what is the recommended way to stepup a 5v dc battery pack to 8volts, occupying minimal space? Kindly please offer me an idea.

I have sen videos demonstrating how a joule thief can light up a 3v led using just 1.5v. I wonder can this toroid be modified/ used as-is to function as transformer ?

Yes, i am using a toroidal fridge magnet.
its ferrite but permanently magnetised, i think. Is the effect different than a non-magnetised ferrite?

Cheers

ramonegumpert said:
Dear Experts
So , what is the recommended way to stepup a 5v dc battery pack to 8volts, occupying minimal space? Kindly please offer me an idea.
Use a boost converter, which are transformerless:http://www.linear.com/products/step-up_(boost)_regulators
Other mfgrs also make similar chips.
I have sen videos demonstrating how a joule thief can light up a 3v led using just 1.5v. I wonder can this toroid be modified/ used as-is to function as transformer ?

Yes, i am using a toroidal fridge magnet.
its ferrite but permanently magnetised, i think. Is the effect different than a non-magnetised ferrite?
Magnets are not suitable for transformers.

Thanks so much Bob S. I will get a ferrite toroid and try again.

Cheers :)

ramonegumpert said:
Thanks so much Bob S. I will get a ferrite toroid and try again.
If you need to make a toroid transformer circuit, be sure to use a soft ferrite. I personally would search for a boost regulator circuit from Linear.com, using a DIP package. How many milliamps do you need? I have built ferrite transformer circuits before, and the boost regulators are easier.

Dear Bob

Thanks for your reply.

I am looking at output of as high as 500 milliamps, input voltage of any between 9v to 12 v and output of 5.5 to 6v.

Is it possible to get free samples of 1 or 2 units for testing?

Thanks.

Regards
Ramone

You get free samples if someone thinks you might buy $500 worth of something. So, they ask who you work for and what your position is.

So, unless you are likely to buy a lot of something, you shouldn't ask for free samples.

Almost free, though, are these on Ebay:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DC-DC-Converter-Buck-Step-Down-Voltage-Module-4-75-24V-0-93-18V-2-5A-Output-/270940113628?pt=AU_Gadgets&hash=item3f154a0adc

Synchronous rectification, Max efficiency up to 98%.
Input: 4.75-24V.
Output: 0.93V-18V ( Buck Mode, the input must be 2V higher than output ).
Output Current: continuous 2.5A ( Peak 4A).
Price about $3.50 US.

Which country are you in?

1. What is a ferrite magnet toroid transformer?

A ferrite magnet toroid transformer is a type of transformer that uses a toroidal (donut-shaped) core made of ferrite material to transfer electrical energy from one circuit to another. The ferrite material is a type of ceramic compound that is highly magnetic and has low electrical conductivity, making it ideal for use in transformers.

2. How does a ferrite magnet toroid transformer work?

In a ferrite magnet toroid transformer, the primary coil is wound around the toroidal core and is connected to an alternating current (AC) power source. The magnetic field generated by the current in the primary coil induces a current in the secondary coil, which is connected to the load. The toroidal shape of the core allows for more efficient and compact transfer of energy compared to other transformer designs.

3. What are the advantages of using a ferrite magnet toroid transformer?

There are several advantages to using a ferrite magnet toroid transformer. These include high efficiency due to the low electrical conductivity of the ferrite material, compact size, and low electromagnetic interference (EMI) due to the closed-loop design of the toroidal core. Additionally, the toroidal shape provides a more uniform and concentrated magnetic field, resulting in minimal energy loss and better regulation of the output voltage.

4. What are the common applications of ferrite magnet toroid transformers?

Ferrite magnet toroid transformers are commonly used in electronic devices and equipment that require low power, such as audio amplifiers, power supplies, and lighting systems. They are also used in telecommunications and medical equipment due to their low EMI and compact size. Additionally, they are often used in power grids and renewable energy systems to step-up or step-down voltage levels.

5. What are the limitations of ferrite magnet toroid transformers?

One limitation of ferrite magnet toroid transformers is their low maximum power handling capacity compared to other transformer designs. They are also more expensive to manufacture due to the specialized ferrite core material. Additionally, they may experience core saturation at high frequencies, leading to reduced efficiency and potential overheating. Care must also be taken to prevent mechanical stress on the core, as this can affect the performance of the transformer.