Current Concentrated Along Axis

In summary, Griffiths discusses the possibility of a fat wire having its current concentrated along its axis due to the attraction between parallel wires. However, he then poses the question of why this may not happen and wonders if there could be some sort of electric repulsion in the particles' rest frame. The speaker also mentions potential issues with transforming frames.
ResonantW
Griffiths brings up a point that it might make sense that current in a fat wire would want to concentrate itself mainly along the axis of the wire, given that parallel wires attract each other.

He then asks us to figure out why this might not happen, but to be honest I would think it should! The only thing I can think of is some sort of electric repulsion in the conduction particles' rest frame, but I feel like there are more subtle points in transforming the frames like this. Where am I going wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
hi there :)

who is Griffiths and do you have a link to his study ?

Dave

That would give j a curl. Since j=\sigma E, that would give E a curl, but curl E=0.

1. What is meant by "Current Concentrated Along Axis"?

"Current Concentrated Along Axis" refers to the flow of electric current in a confined and concentrated manner along a specific axis or direction.

2. What causes current to be concentrated along an axis?

Current can be concentrated along an axis due to the presence of a strong magnetic field, the shape of the conductor, or the direction of the current flow.

3. How does current concentration along an axis affect the strength of the current?

Current concentration along an axis can increase the strength of the current as it allows for more efficient and focused flow of electrons, resulting in a greater overall flow of electric charge.

4. What are some practical applications of current concentrated along an axis?

Current concentration along an axis is utilized in a variety of applications, including in electric motors, generators, and transformers, as well as in high-power lasers and particle accelerators.

5. Can current concentration along an axis be controlled or manipulated?

Yes, current concentration along an axis can be controlled and manipulated through various methods such as changing the shape of the conductor, adjusting the strength of the magnetic field, or using specialized equipment such as lenses and mirrors.