I have a question about Beta Decay

In summary, the process of Beta radioactive decay involves the rearrangement of quarks in the parent nucleus, resulting in the emission of a negative or positive beta particle, along with an antineutrino or neutrino respectively. This process is governed by the principle of conservation of matter and energy, as described by the equation E=mc^2. However, these equations at the macroscopic level are incomplete as they do not account for the neutrino and its antimatter counterpart.
Ryan Lucas
In Beta radioactive decay, how do quarks rearrange themselves in these situations? Do they do this?

ß+ : 1p (2u, 1d) + energy ==> 1n (2d, 1u) + 1e-

ß- : 1n (2d, 1u) ==> 1p (2u, 1d) + 1e- + energy

I believe I have these right. Positive Beta decay is "endothermic" while negative Beta decay is "exothermic", because a neutron is bigger than a proton plus and electron, and so due to the conservation of matter, and E=mc^2, energy must make up the loss in mass. Please correct me if I'm wrong!

Physics news on Phys.org
Ryan Lucas said:
In Beta radioactive decay, how do quarks rearrange themselves in these situations? Do they do this?
ß+ : 1p (2u, 1d) + energy ==> 1n (2d, 1u) + 1e-
ß- : 1n (2d, 1u) ==> 1p (2u, 1d) + 1e- + energy
I believe I have these right. Positive Beta decay is "endothermic" while negative Beta decay is "exothermic", because a neutron is bigger than a proton plus and electron, and so due to the conservation of matter, and E=mc^2, energy must make up the loss in mass. Please correct me if I'm wrong!
Your equations at the macroscopic level are incomplete...you are missing the neutrino and its antimatter mirror, but the quark structure for P and N is OK:
For negatron B(-) decay:
N ==> P + B(-) + antineutrino + Q decay energy released.​
For positron B(+) decay:
P ==> N + B(+) + neutrino​
Positron decay is possible only when the mass of the parent is greater than daughter by 2 electron masses.

What is Beta Decay?

Beta decay is a type of radioactive decay in which a nucleus emits a beta particle (either an electron or a positron) in order to become more stable.

How does Beta Decay occur?

Beta decay occurs when a nucleus has too many or too few neutrons compared to protons, resulting in an unstable balance. The excess or deficit of neutrons is then corrected by the emission of a beta particle.

What is the difference between Beta Minus and Beta Plus Decay?

In Beta Minus decay, a neutron is converted into a proton and an electron is emitted. In Beta Plus decay, a proton is converted into a neutron and a positron is emitted. The overall process is the same, but the emitted particles are different.

What are the dangers of Beta Decay?

Beta particles can be harmful to living organisms if they are ingested or inhaled. They can damage cells and cause mutations, leading to health problems. However, beta particles can be shielded by materials such as clothing or even a sheet of paper.

How is Beta Decay used in everyday life?

Beta decay is used in a variety of applications, including carbon dating, medical imaging, and nuclear power. It is also used in smoke detectors, as the small amounts of radioactive material emit beta particles that can be detected by the device.