Model of heat flow in a sphere

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of an expression for heat flow along a bar and how to apply it to a spherical heat source. It is suggested to use the original differential equation and assume equilibrium conditions, separating variables and integrating accordingly. It is also reminded that heat flows from hotter to colder.
capslock
I have derived expression for the heat flow along a bar with cross-sectional area A, given by 'Q = -KA dT/dx' where K is thermal conductivity constant and T and x refer to temperature and distance measured from the high temperature end of the bar.

I understand this. My problem is when I try to apply it to a sphere:

Say we have a spherical heat source of radius a at the centre of a solid sphere of radius b > a. Take the sphere as having thermal conductivity constant K. The source emits heat equally in all directions at a rate of Q per second. The outside of the outer sphere is help at constant temperature T_0.

How would I determine the temperature at the surface of the heat emitting sphere using the original differential equation?

I'm totally pulling my hair out about this one guys! Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards, James.

Physics news on Phys.org
Stick to first principles, which is the equation you have started with:
Assume equilibrium conditions.

[tex]\dot{Q} = KA\frac{dT}{dr}[/tex]

where dT/dr is the temperature gradient at any distance r. The area of conduction at any distance r is [tex]A = 4\pi r^2[/tex].

Separate your variables and integrate accordingly. In case you didn't know, this same procedure can be used to derive your more familiar equation:

[tex] \dot{Q} = KA\frac{T_2-T_1}{x_2-x_1}[/tex]

Don't forget that heat flows from hotter to colder! :)

1. What is the "Model of heat flow in a sphere"?

The "Model of heat flow in a sphere" is a mathematical model used to describe the transfer of heat throughout a spherical object. It takes into account factors such as the temperature gradient, thermal conductivity, and thermal diffusivity to predict how heat will distribute within the object.

2. What are the assumptions made in the "Model of heat flow in a sphere"?

The model assumes that the sphere is homogeneous, meaning that it has a uniform composition and properties throughout. It also assumes that there are no external sources of heat or temperature changes, and that the heat flow is one-dimensional, meaning it only moves in one direction.

3. How is the "Model of heat flow in a sphere" derived?

The model is derived using the principles of thermodynamics and heat transfer equations. These equations are then solved using boundary and initial conditions to obtain a solution for the heat distribution within the sphere.

4. What applications is the "Model of heat flow in a sphere" used for?

The model is commonly used in the study of geothermal systems, such as the Earth's core, as well as in the design of industrial processes involving heat transfer, such as in furnaces and heat exchangers. It can also be used in the analysis of heat flow in planets or other spherical objects.

5. What are the limitations of the "Model of heat flow in a sphere"?

The model has limitations in its assumptions, as it does not account for factors such as convection or radiation heat transfer. It also assumes a perfect spherical shape, which may not be the case in real-life scenarios. Additionally, the model may not be accurate for objects with highly variable properties or non-uniform heat sources.