Chocolate milk: does it keep longer than regular milk?

• Thread starter Schrodinger's Dog
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Regular
In summary: Well, you get the picture.- WarrenIn summary, milk is not generally healthy for humans, but there are some nutrients in it.
Whole milk.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok 11 hours later and no change in the first sugared saucer. The sugar free saucer has about half the volume of milk of the others, and most of that is a sort of yellow mess.

dav2008 said:
What does cream taste like then?

Tastes like double cream, triple, quadruple and so on :tongue:

Ok some good testing later, ah we humans are so much more clever than dogs, the bone thing is working, he got the bone, he happy.

Dish 2 has soured. Dish 3 is still without SP. The rest all unsoured including the control sugar free dish.

Dan nah, nah nah nah nah dah ha nah...

DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM.

Cool, this experiment is working as planned now to see if the second dish has followed the theory. Yes I'm tentatively using theory at this point if you'll forgive the impertinence.:smile:

Last edited:
Dish 2 has seriously soured now, but this was the contaminated dish. hit a snag here, it might well be that I run out of test fluid before the final bowls sour, I think 3's on it's way out, but may have to stop at that. The result is fairly clear so far. The sugar is keeping the milk from spoling. This is why the chocolate milk appears to stay fresh longer.

How often does that happen? you make a suggestion on a forum as to what would happen and instead of their being doubt and reservation, their is the sure jack boot of science firmly planted on the doubters chests:biggrin:. Got to go, work beckons, no work tomorrow of course:smile:

Last edited:
SD, what are the 3 times to SP ?

Sorry if you read those last times they are wrong.

April 12th 6:30 AM : non sugared saucer
April 12th 9:30PM : 1st sugared bowl(1tsp)
today 6:30 AM : 2nd sugared bowl(2tsp)

As a matter of interest non sugared control about six hours after non sugared bowl.

Last edited:
Have hit a snag, although it is pretty obvious that bowl 3 has curdeled - it has yellow blobs in it - it still passes the tea test, my theory is that once sugar levels approach a certain level they prevent the coagulation that results in the familiar blobs of milk in tea. Also bowl four and five have practically evaporated, which I suspect is due to the high sucrose levels; dish five for example has a sort of syrupy liquid left, and surprisingly dish four is practically gone, neither fails the tea test, but this is hardly surprising.

I am going to leave bowl three for 12 hours or so and if no SP occurs I'll proceed with the current results.

We're through the looking glass people(I have no idea what that means, but it sounds good, must be some reference to Alice, but we are not in wonderland or are we?):smile:

Anon.

SD

Last edited:
further to that bowl four has now turned about 14 hours or so later at least visually, bowl five is the last to show signs of spoilage. I shall wait 12 or so hours again and then post the results.

Results

The sugars SP times are: -

Bowl 1(no sugar):April 12th: 6:30 AM
Bowl2(1 tsp sugar):April 12th: 9:30 PM
Bowl3(2 tsp sugar):April 13th: 6:30 AM

At this point because of flaws in the experimental tea test, visual spoilage, which is less accurate, was used

Bowl4:(3 tsp sugar): April 13th: 8:30PM
Bowl5:(4 tsp sugar): April 14th: 6:30AM
Bowl6(5 tsp sugar): April 15th: 7:30PM

It is acknowledged that the last three results are or could be innacurate and that bowl 2 was contaminated.

Conclusions

To me even with the experimental inconsistency, it is clear that the sugared bowls keep longer than the non sugared bowls, also that the sugar levels effects how long the bowl of milk will keep.

It is acknowledged that there are some environmental and methodical limitations with the experiment, this is not a definitive conclusive test, but it definitely shows a positive result for the orginal hypothesis and supports the reasoning first introduced in the chocolate milk test, future scientific experimentation is required as always to corroborate this result. For now people, we have a result. I think it's valid enough to warrant further testing and is indicative of the preservative qualities chocolate milk exhibits.

Time to put on Thus Spake Zarathustra(the theme from 2001 a Space Oddysey to those not au fait with the classical scene, you know the bit at the start with the apes and the monolith)

It's apt I think to be humbled by such scientificaly ground breaking results, we are of course living the dream of those first apes who stood upright and stared in wonder at the sun rising into the firmament, those humble creatures who feared the nature they barely understood, we are delving into the unknowable of the past and making strides towards the accepted wisdom of the future.

I'd like of course to thank Moon Bear, in particular, for taking the time to outline where procedural innacuracies lay, and the others who took the time to wish me luck and provide the support.

A special mention goes out to my hound who's faithful guardianship kept the house cat free. He had his moments of experimental disruption, but overal we can't underestimate the morale a dog can give someone in trying experimental conditions.

Also a special mention to PF in general for the support and interest during both experiments.

Again I'd like to make special mention of my colleagues who worked to help make this experiment more than just a pipe dream, but of course it was just me.

Were do we go from here? Who knows what dreams may come?

A small cog in a big wheel, who's inexorable progress flattens the limits of ignorance.

Again thanks for the help, tomorrow is another day but a more enlightened one.

I'd like to dedicate this research to the loss of a faithful cat, who was a genuine companion, who never asked for more than his due. He died one morning out of the blue with blood on his mouth, I think due to being hit by a car. A true friend and ally.

DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM..DUM...DUM...DUM

SD

Last edited: