Acid Strength and Conjugate Bases

In summary: So, in summary, the strongest conjugate base comes from the weakest acid, which is HF. And the strongest acid among the given options is HI. This follows the trend of increasing acidity as you go down the group due to decreasing H-X bond strength.
Soaring Crane
1. Which Bronsted-Lowry acid has the strongest conjugate base?

a. HBr
b. HClO4
c. HF
d. HI

2. What is the strongest acid among the following?

a. HF
b. HCl
c. HBr
d. HI

Correct?
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Number two is incorrect. The higher the electronegativity of X in HX, the stronger the acid. However, an exception to this is fluorine, which is the point of the question. Following this, what do you think the answer is?

According to my text, the size of X increases from F to I, so acidity increases from HF to HI since the H-X bond strength decreases as you go down the group.

Therefore, shouldn't my answer be correct? HI is stronger than the other three?

If the elements of binary acids were in the same ROW, then increasing electronegativity indicates higher acid strength.

Last edited:
Soaring Crane said:
Therefore, shouldn't my answer be correct? HI is stronger than the other three?

Yes, you are right.

For the first one, you need to find the weakest acid (weaker the acid, stronger the conjugate base).

I apologize. My teacher must've made a mistake when he taught us that (he only mentioned it a few times in class). I will have to talk to him about that tomorrow.

Well, HF is the weakest acid, so my answer is correct for #1?

Yes, I think that's right as well.

What is acid strength?

Acid strength refers to the ability of an acid to donate a proton (H+) to a base. Strong acids completely dissociate in water, while weak acids only partially dissociate.

How is acid strength measured?

The strength of an acid is measured by its acid dissociation constant (Ka). The higher the Ka value, the stronger the acid. Strong acids have Ka values greater than 1, while weak acids have Ka values less than 1.

What is a conjugate base?

A conjugate base is the species that is formed when an acid donates a proton to a base. It is the remaining part of the acid after the proton is removed. For example, the conjugate base of HCl is Cl-.

What is the relationship between acid strength and conjugate bases?

The strength of an acid is inversely proportional to the strength of its conjugate base. This means that a strong acid will have a weak conjugate base, and a weak acid will have a strong conjugate base.

What factors affect acid strength and conjugate bases?

The factors that affect acid strength and conjugate bases include electronegativity, atomic size, and resonance. Acids with more electronegative atoms and smaller atomic size tend to be stronger. Additionally, resonance can stabilize a conjugate base, making it weaker.