Wavelength of electromagnetic radiation

In summary, To calculate the longest wavelength of electromagnetic radiation that could ionize an atom, use the equation lambda = hc/E, where h = 6.626 * 10^-34 J*s, c = 3.00 * 10^8 m/s, and E is the energy in joules. The unit of the answer will be in meters per atom, but the atom can be ignored.
babbagee
Calculate the longest wavelength of electromagnetic radiation that could ionize an atom of each of the following elements:

a) Li; IE1=520.1 kJ/mol

can some one tell me the steps to do this problem.

thanks

Chemistry news on Phys.org
[tex]E=hv[/tex]

[tex]v=\frac{c}{\lambda}[/tex]

so...[tex]\lambda=\frac{hc}{E}[/tex]

E = energy (IN JOULES, not kJ!)
h = 6.626 * 10^-34 J*s
v = frequency (s^-1)
c = 3.00 * 10^8 m/s (speed of light)
[tex]\lambda[/tex] = wavelength

Last edited:
thanks,

the only thing that was confusing about this problem was the units. I used the exact equation but my units did not work out. I got an answer in m/atom then some one told me that the atom is ignored for some reason.

1. What is the definition of wavelength of electromagnetic radiation?

The wavelength of electromagnetic radiation is the distance between consecutive peaks or troughs of an electromagnetic wave. It is commonly measured in meters (m) or nanometers (nm).

2. How does wavelength affect the properties of electromagnetic radiation?

The wavelength of electromagnetic radiation affects its properties, such as energy and frequency. Longer wavelengths have lower energy and lower frequency, while shorter wavelengths have higher energy and higher frequency.

3. What is the relationship between wavelength and frequency of electromagnetic radiation?

The frequency of electromagnetic radiation is inversely proportional to its wavelength. This means that as the wavelength increases, the frequency decreases, and vice versa.

4. How does the wavelength of electromagnetic radiation determine its position on the electromagnetic spectrum?

The wavelength of electromagnetic radiation determines its position on the electromagnetic spectrum. Longer wavelengths, such as radio waves, have lower frequencies and are located at the lower end of the spectrum. Shorter wavelengths, such as gamma rays, have higher frequencies and are located at the higher end of the spectrum.

5. How is the wavelength of electromagnetic radiation measured?

The wavelength of electromagnetic radiation is typically measured using a ruler or a specialized instrument called a spectrophotometer. In the electromagnetic spectrum, wavelength is often measured in nanometers (nm) or micrometers (μm).