What is the formula for finding the sum of an arithmatic series?

• Thread starter CathyLou
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series
In summary, the sum of the first n terms of an arithmetic series can be represented as 1/2[2a + (n-1)d], where a is the first term and d is the common difference. The novel writer plans to write 16 pages in the first week, 18 in the second, and so on, with the number of pages increasing by 2 each week. Using this information, it can be determined that in the fifth week she will write 26 pages, and in the first five weeks she will write a total of 100 pages. To find how long it will take to write a book with 250 pages, the equation 250 = \sum_{i=1}^n (16
CathyLou
I'd really appreciate it if someone could please help me with this question as I'm really stuck on it.

Prove that the sum of the first n terms of an arithmatic series with first term a and common difference d is given by

1/2[2a + (n-1) d]

Thank you.

Cathy

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, a start would be to write the expression for the general term of an arithmetic sequence: [tex]a_{i} = a_{1} + (i-1)d[/tex], where a1 is the first term, and d is the difference.

According to Wikipedia:

Express the arithmetic series in two different ways:

[tex]S_n=a_1+(a_1+d)+(a_1+2d)+ \dots +(a_1+(n-2)d)+(a_1+(n-1)d)[/tex]

[tex] S_n=(a_n-(n-1)d)+(a_n-(n-2)d)+ \dots +(a_n-2d)+(a_n-d)+a_n[/tex]

Add both sides of the two equations. All terms involving ''d'' cancel, and so we're left with:

[tex]2S_n=n(a_1+a_n)[/tex]

Rearranging and remembering that [tex]a_n = a_1 + (n-1)d[/tex], we get:

[tex]S_n=\frac{n( a_1 + a_n)}{2}=\frac{n[ 2a_1 + (n-1)d]}{2}[/tex]

Thanks so much to both of you for your help.

Cathy

I also stuck on the rest of the question. Could someone please help? I'd be really grateful for any assistance.

A novelist begins writing a new book. She plans to write 16 pages during the first week, 18 during the second and so on, with the number of pages increasing by 2 each week.

Find, according to her plan,

(b) how many pages she will write in the fifth week

(c) the total number of pages she will write in the first five weeks

(d) Using algebra, find how long it will take her to write the book if it has 250 pages.

Thank you.

Cathy

Well, if you understand what an arithmetic sequence is, then you should be able to solve the problem. Show us some work (if you get stuck), and we'll be glad to help. :smile:

radou said:
Well, if you understand what an arithmetic sequence is, then you should be able to solve the problem. Show us some work (if you get stuck), and we'll be glad to help. :smile:

Okay, an arithmatic series is a sequence where each term is found by adding a fixed number to the previous one.

For part b I got an answer of 24 pages and for part c I got an answer of 100 pages, but I still don't know how to do part d as I just got an answer of 235 weeks and that is obviously wrong.

Cathy

so you have 16, 18, 20. 22, 24, 26

so you can see each number increases by 2. and the first number starts as 16.

tn = 16 + (2n) - 2.

so:
250 = 16 + (2n) -2
234 = (2n) - 2
236 = 2n
n = 118 weeks

im pretty sure that's correct. hopefully someone will double check it. I am not good in math myself.

~Amy

physicsgal said:

tn = 16 + (2n) - 2.

so:
250 = 16 + (2n) -2
234 = (2n) - 2
236 = 2n
n = 118 weeks

im pretty sure that's correct. hopefully someone will double check it. I am not good in math myself.

~Amy

Thanks for your help!

Cathy

physicsgal said:

tn = 16 + (2n) - 2.

so:
250 = 16 + (2n) -2
234 = (2n) - 2
236 = 2n
n = 118 weeks

~Amy

That isn't correct which should be obvious. After 5 week she will write 16 + 2(5) = 26 pages, so it can't take more than 10 weeks from then on.

You're mixing the sum of the series with the members up. You have to solve [tex]250 = \sum_{i=1}^n a_{i} = \sum_{i=1}^n (16+(i-1)\cdot2)[/tex], where n is the number of weeks it takes to write 250 pages.

What is an arithmetic series?

An arithmetic series is a sequence of numbers with a common difference between each consecutive term. For example, the series 2, 5, 8, 11, ... is an arithmetic series with a common difference of 3.

How do you find the sum of an arithmetic series?

The sum of an arithmetic series can be found using the formula S = n/2(a1 + an), where S is the sum, n is the number of terms, and a1 and an are the first and last terms of the series, respectively.

What is the formula for the nth term of an arithmetic series?

The formula for the nth term of an arithmetic series is an = a1 + (n-1)d, where a1 is the first term, n is the term number, and d is the common difference.

How can you determine if a series is arithmetic?

A series is arithmetic if it has a constant difference between each term. This can be checked by calculating the difference between consecutive terms and seeing if it is the same for every pair of terms.

Can an arithmetic series have a negative common difference?

Yes, an arithmetic series can have a negative common difference. This means that the terms of the series are decreasing instead of increasing.