Torque and moment of inertia

In summary, the moment of inertia of Earth, which was recently measured to be 0.331MR^2, suggests that the mass inside the earth is widely distributed due to its large and round shape. However, this value is lower than that of a solid sphere of equal mass, indicating a lower rotational inertia and a more easily spinnable object. In regards to the second problem, it is possible for there to be a net torque on an object when two equal and opposite forces act at the same point, as long as there are no other forces acting on the object. This is because the net force at that point is zero, but the net torque can still be nonzero. Understanding the formula for calculating torque can help in solving
syncstarr
The moment of inertia of Earth was recently measured to be 0.331MR^2. what does this tell you ablut the distribution of mass inside the earth?
that was the problem
my attempt/answer was that it tells us that it is widely distributed because Earth is so large and round. (honestly i don't really know, i am kinda confussed on this problem).

2. A different problem: two forces equal in m agnitude but opposite in direction act at the same point on an boject. is it possible for there to be a net torque on the object? explain.

my attempt/answer was: yes, it is possible for there to be a net torque equal in magnitude but opposite in direction acting at the same point on an object. this is because if there is two opposite forces with the same magnitude they will cancel each other out.

those are two different problem with two different answers from me. if you think i am right or wrong or have a hint or answer for either or both please let me know that would be very helpful. i want to understand my physics better so i am asking for help in order to do so. thank you for taking your time to read this.

- physics student:confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
syncstarr said:
The moment of inertia of Earth was recently measured to be 0.331MR^2. what does this tell you ablut the distribution of mass inside the earth?
that was the problem
my attempt/answer was that it tells us that it is widely distributed because Earth is so large and round. (honestly i don't really know, i am kinda confussed on this problem).

Can you think of any objects with a moment of inertia similar to this?
syncstarr said:
2. A different problem: two forces equal in m agnitude but opposite in direction act at the same point on an boject. is it possible for there to be a net torque on the object? explain.

my attempt/answer was: yes, it is possible for there to be a net torque equal in magnitude but opposite in direction acting at the same point on an object. this is because if there is two opposite forces with the same magnitude they will cancel each other out.
You may wish to reconsider this answer. What is the definition of a torque (i.e. the formula for calculating it)?

For the first question compare the Earth's moment of inertia with those you might expect it to be like (i.e. spheres solid and hollow).

For question two I'm not sure you've got the correct jist of the problem. Do you know the equation for torque?

syncstarr said:

Your argument says that if there are two forces with opposite magnitude acting at the same point on an object, then they wil cancel out. That is, the net force on the object at that point is zero. If the net force at a point is zero, what can you say about the torque at that point?

(I think your question should state that the two forces are the only forces acting at that point, and that there are no other forces acting at any other point on the object).

edit: woah.. didn't realize two people got in before me, sorry!

Last edited:
Now you are right in comparing Earth with a SOLID spere. that is 2/5=.4 instead of .331. So Earth has less rotational inertia then a homgeneous spere of equal mass. So you should understand that moment of inertia is sort of a measure of how hard it is to spin something; with that in mind, what sort of mass distribution would lower moment of inertia (make it easier to spin).

just a little obvious not on your second question, if you push equally hard on both sides of some spot on a door, is it going to move? (yes that was redundant)

Thank you! Thank you to everyone that responded to these two problems. All of your suggestions and imput were very helpful. when i answered these questions the first time i was greatly confussed and just had to guess but with each one of you giving me a little hint or something to think about it made me be able to have a more educated answer to the problem. i just wanted to thank you for this. With your help it made me understand the problems better. Thank you soooooooooo much. i appreciate it greatly for you to take your time to read my problems and look at them and respond to help me. THANK YOU

What is torque?

Torque is the twisting force that causes rotational motion. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the point of rotation to where the force is applied.

How is torque related to moment of inertia?

Torque and moment of inertia are both important factors in rotational motion. Torque is the cause of rotational motion, while moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion. The larger the moment of inertia, the more torque is needed to produce the same amount of angular acceleration.

What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion. It is calculated by multiplying the mass of an object by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation.

How does the shape of an object affect its moment of inertia?

The shape of an object plays a significant role in determining its moment of inertia. Objects with larger dimensions or more mass distributed farther from the axis of rotation have a larger moment of inertia, making them more resistant to rotational motion.

How can I calculate the moment of inertia for a complex object?

The moment of inertia for a complex object can be calculated by breaking it down into smaller, simpler shapes and using the parallel axis theorem to find the total moment of inertia for the object. This involves finding the individual moments of inertia for each shape and adding them together to get the total moment of inertia.