What are cheaper alternatives for making lye at home?

• Thread starter Mr_Bojingles
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses alternatives to using Sodium hydroxide lye and brewing barrels for making woodash lye. One method involves boiling ash with rain water to create a liquid lye solution. There is a discussion about whether this solution would be strong enough for making soap and the potential contamination of using city snow as a water source. The use of hardwoods for making lye is also mentioned, as well as the need to concentrate the lye solution when using a lot of water. It is advised to avoid using contaminated water sources, such as city snow, and to consider purchasing demineralized water instead.
Mr_Bojingles
Not everybody has access to Sodium hydroxide lye and not everyone can afford brewing barrels and all the other **** they tell you to get for making woodash lye so I was wondering what the cheaper alternatives are.

I found this method where he just adds the ash to a pot of rain water and boils it for a while then strains it through a cloth to make a liquid lye solution.
http://www.stevesartstuff.co.uk/making_lye.htm

I was wondering if that liquid lye would be strong enough to use for making soap. Obviously considering you need more potassium hydroxide than sodium hydroxide and the fact this potassium hydroxide is diluted with water youd have to use a load of this stuff but would it work?

Could you produce the same quality soap as that made with Sodium hydroxide or powder potassium hydroxide?

Last edited by a moderator:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
That is exactly how soap used to be made. There is a discussion in one of the early Foxfire series of books. The process you described was called "dripping lye". (sometimes spelled "drippin' ")

Hardwoods make the best lye, I've heard.

Cool. Then I am going to get started. Would snow work as well as rain water? I am talking city snow so it wouldn't be the cleanest.

What might city snow it be contaminated with? Ash? Soot?
Consider your total process...

If you use a lot of water, you will make a very dilute solution of lye. You can still make soap out of it if you are willing to boil down the water until it is fairly concentrated. The details of how concentrated to make the lye are discussed in the Foxfire book I mentioned.

Well for example I filled a bucket with the cleanest looking snow I could see and when I looked in the bucket yesterday after it had melted there was all dirt at the bottom and a cigarette butt floating in it.

Im going to have to come up with a better way of getting water. I might just buy demineralized water in the pharmacy.

Absolutely avoid the cigarette butt tea!

1. What is lye and why is it used?

Lye is a strong alkaline chemical compound that is commonly used in soap making, cleaning products, and food preparation. It is used to break down fats and oils, making them easier to dissolve and remove.

2. Can I make lye at home?

Yes, lye can be made at home using a process called "leaching". This involves soaking wood ash in water, which will create a solution of potassium hydroxide (potash lye). This method requires specific measurements and caution should be taken when handling the solution.

3. What are some other cheap ways to make lye?

Aside from leaching, other common methods for making lye include using baking soda and boiling it with water to create a sodium hydroxide lye solution. Another method is by using salt and electricity to create a sodium hydroxide solution through electrolysis.

4. Is it safe to make lye at home?

Making lye at home can be dangerous if proper precautions are not taken. Lye is a corrosive substance and can cause burns and irritation to the skin and eyes. It is important to wear protective gear such as gloves, goggles, and a mask when handling lye. It is also recommended to work in a well-ventilated area.

5. Can I substitute lye with another ingredient?

Some recipes may call for lye, but it can be substituted with other alkaline ingredients such as baking soda, potassium carbonate, or sodium hydroxide. However, the resulting product may not have the same strength or properties as one made with lye. It is important to research and test the substitution before using it in a recipe.