What is the composition of a flame in combustion reactions?

• Thread starter Wellsi
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed combustion of alkanes and the composition of flames produced during the process. It was mentioned that the yellow flame is composed of superheated carbon soot, while blue flames are made of superheated plasma of reaction products like nitrogen and carbon dioxide. The process of combustion involves heat decomposing substances into gases, which may combine with oxygen to produce oxygenates or carbon-rich soot. The brief existence of this decomposition is what we see as a flame. It was also mentioned that placing a piece of metal in the yellow part of the flame can trap carbon soot.
Wellsi
duh- a bad question i know...

Ok i was in chemistry the other day and we were talking about combustion of alkanes in both complete and non complete reactions... i know that combustion is the oxidation of something... but what exactly IS the flame made when something burns? what is it made of?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Usually the yellow flame is composed of superheated carbon soot. Blue flames are superheated plasma of the reaction products, usually nitrogen and carbon dioxide if it is burning in air. Air is 80% nitrogen which doesn't usually enter into the reaction process but can react with oxygen just outside the blue zone of the flame to produce some brownish oxides of nitrogen we see as smog.

The complete flame starts at the surface of the substance to be combusted. Heat decomposes the stuff into a gas(s) which may combine with oxygen to produce a variety of oxygenates or may thermally decompose to carbon-rich soot. The flame that you see is the brief, fleeting existence of this decomposition just before it combines with oxygen to complely combust.

Want to trap some of that carbon soot? Just place a piece of metal briefly into the yellow part of the flame. Voila! You have trapped the soot on the cool surface which should now appear black.

ok thank you... i wasnt quite sure. I know how bad a question it was sorry :P

1. What is the meaning of "Duh"?

"Duh" is an interjection used to express obviousness or sarcasm. It is often used as a response to a question or statement that is considered obvious.

2. Is "Duh" a real word?

Yes, "duh" is considered a real word and is listed in dictionaries. However, it is considered informal and is often used in spoken language rather than formal writing.

3. Where did the word "Duh" come from?

The word "duh" is believed to have originated in the United States in the early 20th century. It is thought to be an imitation of the sound of a slow, dumb person's voice.

4. Can "Duh" have different meanings?

Yes, depending on the context and tone, "duh" can have different meanings. It can express obviousness, sarcasm, or even annoyance. It is important to consider the tone and context when using or interpreting this word.

5. Is it rude to say "Duh" in a conversation?

It can be considered rude or condescending to say "duh" in a conversation, as it can imply that the other person's statement or question was obvious or foolish. It is important to use this word carefully and consider how it may be perceived by others.