Electromagnetic Wave: Magnetic Field Direction

In summary, for a plane electromagnetic wave with polarization in the positive y-direction and propagation in the negative z-direction, the direction of the magnetic field can be either +x or -x, and is determined by the vector cross product equation - \vec{k} = \vec{E} \times \vec{B}.
Zonda

Homework Statement

A plane electromagnetic wave, which is polarized in the positive y-direction, propagates in the negative z-direction. What is the direction of the magnetic field of this wave?

Homework Equations

My choices are:

+z direction.
-y direction.
-x direction.
+y direction.
+x direction.
-z direction.

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand polarization much. Also, from what I know about electromagnetic waves the magnetic and electric fields point in two directions so I can't just answer one answer it would have to be two of the choices above but I don't have that option.

Please Help! I Would really appreciate it! It's due tomorrow!

Physics news on Phys.org
HINT: Magnetic field components of a E-M wave, will be at right angles to the electric field components.

So, from what I can gather, the answer is +x or -x, it can be either one can't it?

Nevermind. I got it and it was positive x. How is that so, though? I swear it can be both positive and negative x. I even drew it out!

The equation that connects the direction of travel (k) and the directions of the E and B fields is -

[tex] \vec{k} = \vec{E} \times \vec{B} [/tex]

That's a vector cross product - see here http://mathworld.wolfram.com/CrossProduct.html

1. What is an electromagnetic wave?

An electromagnetic wave is a type of energy that is created by the movement of electrically charged particles. It consists of an electric field and a magnetic field that oscillate perpendicular to each other and travel through space at the speed of light.

2. How is the direction of the magnetic field determined in an electromagnetic wave?

The direction of the magnetic field in an electromagnetic wave is perpendicular to the direction of the electric field and the direction of the wave's propagation. This relationship is known as the right-hand rule, where the thumb points in the direction of the wave's propagation, the fingers point in the direction of the electric field, and the palm faces in the direction of the magnetic field.

3. Can the magnetic field direction of an electromagnetic wave be changed?

Yes, the magnetic field direction of an electromagnetic wave can be changed by altering the direction of the electric field. This can be achieved by changing the orientation of the source of the wave or by using specialized materials to manipulate the wave's properties.

4. What is the significance of the magnetic field direction in electromagnetic waves?

The magnetic field direction in an electromagnetic wave is crucial in determining the polarization of the wave. Polarization refers to the orientation of the electric and magnetic fields, which can be either linear, circular, or elliptical. This property affects how the wave interacts with matter and is essential in various applications, including wireless communication and medical imaging.

5. Is the magnetic field direction the same in all electromagnetic waves?

No, the magnetic field direction can vary in different types of electromagnetic waves. For example, in radio waves, the magnetic field is parallel to the ground, while in light waves, it is perpendicular to the ground. The direction also depends on the orientation of the source and the properties of the medium through which the wave is traveling.