Have you encountered an error with Flex++ in Ubuntu (Linux)?

In summary, the speaker successfully installed Ubuntu onto a spare hard drive and is posting from it. They are now experiencing an issue with using Flex++ and are seeking help. The error message suggests that there may be two conflicting "#include" directives in the .h file and the speaker is wondering if anyone has encountered this before and can offer advice.
Jimmy Snyder
I just loaded Ubuntu (Linux) onto a spare hard drive. It was relatively painless. I am posting this message from it.

I am having a problem with using Flex++. I wonder if anyone has come up against this before. The .L and the Makefile are quite small and I could post them if it would help. However, the error message is:

/usr/include/FlexLexer.h:113: error: redefinition of ‘class yyFlexLexer’
/usr/include/FlexLexer.h:113: error: previous definition of ‘class yyFlexLexer’

and I wonder if that is enough to go on for a first stab. It looks to me as if there were two "#include <FlexLexer.h>" directives hanging around and not properly protected with "#ifndef yyFlexLexer" directives in the .h file. If I remove the "#include" directive from my .L file, I get too many error messages.

Technology news on Phys.org
I am wondering if anyone has encountered this before and can offer any help. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I have not personally encountered this specific error with Flex++ in Ubuntu (Linux), but I have encountered similar errors with other programming languages and environments. It seems like the issue here is with conflicting or duplicate include directives, as you mentioned.

One possible solution could be to check for any duplicate or conflicting include directives in your code and make sure they are properly protected with "#ifndef" directives. You could also try removing the "#include" directive from your .L file and instead include the necessary files in your Makefile.

Another solution could be to update your Flex++ version or check for any known issues with the version you are currently using. You could also try searching for any relevant forums or online communities where other users may have encountered and solved this issue.

In general, encountering errors while programming is a common occurrence and it's important to troubleshoot and find the root cause in order to effectively solve the issue. I hope these suggestions help and you are able to successfully resolve the error with Flex++ in Ubuntu (Linux). Good luck!

1. What is Flex++ in Ubuntu?

Flex++ is a programming language that is used to create lexical analyzers, also known as lexers, for software development. It is designed to work on the Ubuntu operating system, which is a popular Linux distribution.

2. How do I install Flex++ on Ubuntu?

To install Flex++ on Ubuntu, you can use the command "sudo apt-get install flex++" in the terminal. This will download and install the necessary packages for Flex++ to run on your system.

3. Can I use Flex++ to develop applications on Ubuntu?

Yes, Flex++ can be used for software development on Ubuntu. It is commonly used to create lexers for programming languages, but it can also be used for other applications such as data processing and web development.

4. Are there any alternatives to Flex++ for Ubuntu?

Yes, there are other tools available for creating lexers on Ubuntu, such as GNU Flex and Bison. However, Flex++ is a popular and widely used option that offers a user-friendly interface and efficient performance.

5. Is it necessary to have prior programming experience to use Flex++ on Ubuntu?

While prior programming experience can be helpful, it is not necessary to use Flex++ on Ubuntu. However, a basic understanding of programming concepts and syntax is recommended to effectively utilize the language and create efficient lexers.