Discussing Martial Arts: Judo, Muay Thai, and More

In summary: Do you have to get it to do Judo?No, it is not a requirement, but it is an honor to receive a black belt from a judo Sensei.
moose
In order to keep the X-Games fall thread on track, I decided to make this thread.

I'm a judoka and am considering also picking up Muay Thai. Judo is so fun. Randori (bassically sparring) is quite a rush. One moment you're standing just fine, and the next you may be flying through the air being thrown. However, performing a nice throw is one of the best feelings in the world.

Here's a random judo video set to foo fighters :approve:

I like to see videos of people training though... It's just awesome watching a lot of these martial arts videos just because I can relate to a lot of it.

Just use this thread to post anything about martial arts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
moose said:
Yes, that's exactly what I was getting at. Imagine being at your side, and having one of your legs smash down onto the other. It doesn't hit you every time, but when it does... :bugeye:I just watched the video you linked to. I kind of wonder what it would be like going up against them... In the video description, it says randori... That is not randori, it's a demostration.

Thanks for saving my blushes and creating this thread :smile:

Of course as I said it has to be otherwise, the two people sparring would have to injure or kill each other in Nihon Tai-jitsu, thus you cannot do it as a sport or as sparring it must be a demonstration, because it is lethal or it will hospitalise you if you actually intend to carry the moves through. You will not see it in extreme fighting only in demonstration. I personally wouldn't want to see the damage they could do, the video is enough to show that they could if they wanted. But it is an art of defence evolved from a need to kill or incapacitate with the minimum effort.

I love the Foo Fighters :smile:. I love watching Judo at the Olympics(the only time I see it) I'm sure I don't understand half of the skill there but it is like poetry in motion. The speed and power with which they move shows they are the best, just being able to move so quickly by instinct or otherwise shows their training. Impressive.

Last edited:
Schrodinger's Dog said:
I love the Foo Fighters :smile:. I love watching Judo at the Olympics(the only time I see it) I'm sure I don't understand half of the skill there but it is like poetry in motion. The speed and power with which they move shows they are the best, just being able to move so quickly by instinct or otherwise shows their training. Impressive.

It's amazing when you do something by instinct, and realize that it was the best thing you possibly could have done. For example, if someone tries a certain throw, you a lot of times will counter it without thinking. Then you think 'where did that come from??'.

Another thing that impresses me is how unmoveable my sensei are. Their balance is unbelievable as well.

SD, do you practise any martial arts or are you only interested in them?

How long have you been doing this, Moose? Do you have "belts" in judo like in karate?

I've done Aikido, Judo and Jujitsu, and they all have subtle differences in how they roll. Aikido's more controlled, and forward rolls are lead with your palm. It's my favorite. Judo's more about breaking your arm so you don't break your ribs. :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
I visited a Muay Thai training recently, and I felt like a complete idiot. No martial arts for me. :tongue:

Math Is Hard said:
How long have you been doing this, Moose? Do you have "belts" in judo like in karate?

I've only done judo for 2 months and 2 weeks. I try to practise everyday (anything form practising form, doing research, to having randori sessions) outside of the dojo. Judo class only meets twice a week, two hours each. I usually come in 30 minutes early and I learn a lot then too. Two and a half months doesn't seem like a long amount of time, but I can't imagine life without judo.

Yes we have a belt system. The senior ranks go like this:
White
Yellow
Orange
Green
Brown
Black

moose said:
It's amazing when you do something by instinct, and realize that it was the best thing you possibly could have done. For example, if someone tries a certain throw, you a lot of times will counter it without thinking. Then you think 'where did that come from??'.

Another thing that impresses me is how unmoveable my sensei are. Their balance is unbelievable as well.

SD, do you practise any martial arts or are you only interested in them?

I used to do Karate for a while but had to give up. I am considering starting something like it again for the exercise, because I really enjoyed it.

I think the most impressive thing I saw was when they wheeled out the resident prodigy, he was only a brown belt but it was clear he was a natural, when he did a Kata everyone was just like woahh! :bugeye:

Bruce Lee beating Chuck Norris? Nah I must have imagined it?

Last edited:
Schrodinger's Dog said:
Bruce Lee beating Chuck Norris? Nah I must have imagined it?
Haha. Well, in all honesty I don't think anyone could beat Bruce Lee with anything short of firearms. The man's a god.

BobG said:
Why I don't like martial arts:

Kung Fu Movie Auditions

:rofl:

Another thing. I noticed that a lot of people who are into some specific martial art, love to talk about it. It's so damn boring.

I agree judo is the best

Darn! Where's all the rough stuff? Isn't this thread about Marital Arts? Why all this concentration on guys beating on each other? When do the wives with rolling pins and broom-sticks show up?

turbo-1 said:
When do the wives with rolling pins and broom-sticks show up?

And with pottery. :tongue:

1. What is the difference between Judo and Muay Thai?

Judo is a Japanese martial art that focuses on grappling and throwing techniques, while Muay Thai is a Thai martial art that utilizes striking techniques such as kicks, punches, elbows, and knees. Judo also incorporates joint locks and submissions, while Muay Thai does not. Additionally, Judo places a strong emphasis on using an opponent's momentum and strength against them, while Muay Thai focuses on developing power and speed in strikes.

2. Which martial art is better for self-defense?

Both Judo and Muay Thai can be effective for self-defense in different situations. Judo's emphasis on throwing and grappling techniques can be useful in close combat situations, while Muay Thai's striking techniques can be effective in standing up against an attacker. Ultimately, the best martial art for self-defense will depend on the individual's personal preferences and strengths.

3. Is one martial art more physically demanding than the other?

Both Judo and Muay Thai require a high level of physical conditioning and training. However, Muay Thai may be considered more physically demanding as it involves intense training in striking techniques and requires a lot of stamina and endurance. Judo, on the other hand, may rely more on technique and strategy rather than pure physical strength.

4. Can anyone learn Judo or Muay Thai?

Yes, anyone can learn Judo or Muay Thai with proper training and dedication. These martial arts do not discriminate based on age, gender, or physical ability. However, it is important to consult with a doctor before beginning any new physical activity, especially if you have any pre-existing medical conditions.

5. What is the philosophy behind Judo and Muay Thai?

Judo's philosophy is based on the principle of using minimal effort for maximum efficiency, known as "ju no ri." It also emphasizes mutual welfare and benefit, called "jita kyoei," and the importance of continuous self-improvement, known as "seiryoku zenyo." Muay Thai's philosophy is centered around discipline, respect, and the belief that martial arts should be used for self-defense and not for aggression. It also places a strong emphasis on mental and physical toughness, as well as perseverance and determination.