Suspended hotel walkway (Young's modulus problem)

• Thread starter Halfpixel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Modulus
In summary, the walkway exerts a load force of 8500N on one of the support points, and according to the equations, the wire stretches by a certain percentage of that force.
Halfpixel
Here's a (hopefully) quick question for you guys... I'm completely stumped on this problem; any help would be appreciated.

Homework Statement

A walkway suspended across a hotel lobby is supported at numerous points along its edges by a vertical cable above and a vertical column underneath. The steel cable is 1.27cm in diameter and is 5.75m long before loading. The aluminum column is a hollow cylinder with an outside diameter of 16.24cm and an inside diameter of 16.14cm, and an unloaded length of 3.25m. When the walkway exerts a load force of 8500N on one of the support points, how much does the point move down?

Homework Equations

Young's modulus: [tex]Y = \frac{F\ast L}{A\ast\Delta L}[/tex]

Y value for steel: [tex]20 \times 10^{10} N/m^2[/tex]
Y value for aluminum: [tex]7.0 \times 10^{10} N/m^2[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I started by getting the applicable cross-sectional area of the column and the wire. Since the column is hollow, its area should be:

A = Outer area - inner area

which I worked out to be [tex]0.000254m^2[/tex].

The wire is solid, so its cross-sectional area is the same as that of any circle; I worked that out to be [tex]0.000126m^2[/tex].

Taking the Y-values for steel and aluminum, I get the following two equations:

[tex]\frac{F_1*L_1}{A_1* \Delta L_1} = 7.0 \times 10^{10} N/m^2[/tex]

[tex]\frac{F_2*L_2}{A_2* \Delta L_2} = 20 \times 10^{10} N/m^2[/tex]

Though the force exerted on the wire is not the same as the force exerted on the column and their modulus values are different, the walkway must be in equilibrium so the amount that the wire stretches must be equal to the amount that the column shrinks.

So [tex]\Delta L_1 = \Delta L_2 = \Delta L[/tex].

Rearranging and combining my two equations, I then come up with...

[tex]\Delta L = \frac{F_1*L_1}{A_1* 7.0 \times 10^{10} N/m^2} = \frac{F_2*L_2}{A_2 * 20 \times 10^{10} N/m^2}[/tex]

But since I don't know what portion of the force is exerted on the wire and which portion is exerted on the column (I know it's not 50/50), I don't know where to go from here. I know I'm missing something and I'm sure it's fairly obvious, but I'm completely stuck. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Halfpixel said:
[tex]\Delta L = \frac{F_1*L_1}{A_1* 7.0 \times 10^{10} N/m^2} = \frac{F_2*L_2}{A_2 * 20 \times 10^{10} N/m^2}[/tex]

But since I don't know what portion of the force is exerted on the wire and which portion is exerted on the column (I know it's not 50/50), I don't know where to go from here. I know I'm missing something and I'm sure it's fairly obvious, but I'm completely stuck. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Your work is very good. Just carry through with your equation, plugging in the values for the respective L's, A's and Y's, and you will come up with F1 as a certain percentage of F2! (and note that F1 + F2 = the total applied load).

Likes Rollo_x
Thanks! I actually had an epiphany about this right after I woke up this morning... I realized that, of course, [tex]F_1 + F_2[/tex] equals the total applied force (8500N), so rearranging the equations in terms of F and then adding them together allows one to solve the problem very easily.

Hopefully that'll help someone in the future...

Likes Rollo_x

1. What is the purpose of a suspended hotel walkway?

The purpose of a suspended hotel walkway is to provide a safe and convenient way for guests to move between different parts of a hotel, such as from one building to another, without having to go outside. It also adds a unique architectural feature to the hotel.

2. How is the Young's modulus problem related to suspended hotel walkways?

The Young's modulus problem is related to suspended hotel walkways because it involves calculating the amount of deflection or bending that will occur in a structure, such as a walkway, under a certain amount of weight or stress. This is important to consider in the design and construction of a suspended walkway to ensure it can support the weight of people and other loads without breaking or becoming too flexible.

3. What factors affect the Young's modulus of a material used in a suspended hotel walkway?

The Young's modulus of a material used in a suspended hotel walkway can be affected by various factors such as the type of material (e.g. steel, wood, concrete), the temperature, the amount of stress or weight placed on the walkway, and any external factors such as wind or vibrations. The composition and structure of the material also play a role in determining its Young's modulus.

4. How is the Young's modulus of a material determined?

The Young's modulus of a material is determined through various testing methods, such as tensile testing, where a sample of the material is pulled in opposite directions to measure its resistance to deformation. The slope of the stress-strain curve obtained from these tests can be used to calculate the Young's modulus of the material.

5. What safety measures are taken to ensure the stability of a suspended hotel walkway?

Suspended hotel walkways are designed and constructed with various safety measures in place to ensure their stability. This may include using materials with high Young's modulus to withstand loads and stress, incorporating redundant support systems, regular inspections and maintenance, and following building codes and safety regulations. Computer simulations and modeling may also be used to test the structural integrity of the walkway before it is built.