Q19. What is the Stored Energy on a Capacitor Charged to 200 V?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of stored energy in a charged capacitor. The problem initially caused confusion, but it was eventually resolved by realizing that the given capacitance was in microfarads, not farads. The correct answer for the stored energy is 0.4 J.
Strawberry

Homework Statement

Q18. A 20 F capacitor is charged to 200 V. Its stored energy is:
C. 0.4 J

Homework Equations

q = CV
u = .5CV^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried plugging in the numbers and got 1.6E6, which isn't even close to the answer. I really don't know where to go with this one. I even went and found an energy calculator online and it came up with the same answer I got. Is stored energy not the potential energy of the capacitor?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Strawberry,

Are you sure the capacitance wasn't [itex]20 \mbox{ }\mu F[/itex]? Most capacitors that I've dealt with in problems are in that range, and that would also give the answer you are given.

I guess the symbol just didn't show up in the .pdf. Thanks again alphysicist, you've cleared up a ton of things for me in the past few weeks.

Sure, I'm glad I could help!

1. What is a capacitor?

A capacitor is an electrical component that stores energy in an electric field. It is made up of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material.

2. How is energy stored on a capacitor?

Energy is stored on a capacitor by charging it with an electrical current. This causes a build-up of opposite charges on the two plates, creating an electric field between them.

3. What is the unit of measurement for energy stored on a capacitor?

The unit of measurement for energy stored on a capacitor is the joule (J). However, it is also commonly expressed in terms of its equivalent unit, the farad (F).

4. What factors affect the amount of energy stored on a capacitor?

The amount of energy stored on a capacitor is affected by its capacitance, which is determined by the size of the plates, the distance between them, and the type of insulating material used. It is also affected by the voltage applied to the capacitor.

5. How is energy released from a capacitor?

Energy is released from a capacitor when it is discharged, which occurs when the two plates are connected by a conductor. This allows the stored energy to flow from one plate to the other, creating an electric current.