Decay Energy & Thermal Yield of Light Water Reactor Waste

In summary, the conversation is about finding the decay energy and thermal yield of a Light Water Reactor's nuclear waste in order to calculate the amount of electricity it can emit. The person asking for help is unsure about the concept of nuclear waste emitting electricity and is looking for guidance and direction in finding the necessary information. The conversation ends with the suggestion to move the thread to the nuclear engineering subforum.
lordentropy
Assuming a Light Water Reactor, what would be the decay energy of the fission products of the reactor's nuclear waste and it's thermal yield?

What I am getting at is that instead of just storing the waste, i want to know how much electricity the waste emits.

I have very little information to help me go forward..and I was wondering if anyone out there can help me or point me in the right direction...

Physics news on Phys.org
I had never heard of nuclear waste emitting electricity.

It would be good if this thread could be moved to the nuclear engineering subfourm.

well I'll reword it then, find the thermal yield so i can find the thermal decay and in the end calculate how much electricity it produces and as for where the thread belongs, it in-fact belongs in both places because it couples both physics and engineering together.

I locked this thread, as a very similar one has been started in nuclear engineering.

1. What is decay energy and how is it related to light water reactor waste?

Decay energy is the amount of energy released when an unstable element undergoes radioactive decay. In the case of light water reactor waste, this refers to the energy released as the radioactive elements in the waste decay over time.

2. How is the decay energy of light water reactor waste calculated?

The decay energy of light water reactor waste is calculated by multiplying the activity (rate of decay) of each radioactive element in the waste by its corresponding decay energy constant. These values are then summed to give the total decay energy for the waste.

3. What factors affect the thermal yield of light water reactor waste?

The thermal yield of light water reactor waste is affected by several factors, including the decay energy of the waste, the volume and density of the waste, and the thermal properties of the material surrounding the waste.

4. How is the thermal yield of light water reactor waste measured?

The thermal yield of light water reactor waste is typically measured using calorimetry, which involves measuring the heat released by the waste as it decays. This can be done using specialized instruments or by monitoring the temperature of the waste over time.

5. What are the potential environmental impacts of light water reactor waste's decay energy and thermal yield?

The decay energy and thermal yield of light water reactor waste can have potential environmental impacts, including contributing to the overall heat load of the environment and potentially causing thermal pollution. It is important for proper management and disposal of this waste to minimize these impacts.