Solving Residue & Integral Problems: Step-by-Step Guide

• Thread starter mathfied
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Residue
In summary, the conversation discusses two problems - finding the residue of a function and evaluating an integral using contour integration. The solutions to both problems are provided, with the necessary steps and methods explained.
mathfied
hi all, my first post; had a minor headache with this problem lol.

PROBLEM 1:
Finding Residue:
-----------------
find Res(g,0) for [itex] g(z) = z^{-2}coshz[/itex]

My Attempt/Solution:
-----------------
I know [itex] coshz = 1 + \frac{x^2}{2!} + \frac{z^4}{4!} ... [/itex]

so now [itex] z^{-2}coshz = z^{-2} (1 + \frac{z^2}{2!} + \frac{z^4}{4!} ... ) = \frac{1}{z^2} + \frac{z^2}{2!z^{2}} + \frac{z^4}{4!z^{2}} ... = \frac{1}{z^2} + \frac{1}{2!} + \frac{z^2}{4!}[/itex]

we know the residue is the coefficient of the -1th term (or the coefficient of [itex]z^{-1}[/itex]) but there is no -1th term as you can see. So does that mean the residue is 0, or am I missing something?

PROBLEM 2:
Finding Integral:
----------------------------
Evaluate by integrating around a suitable closed contour:
[itex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{cos3x}{x^2 + 4}[/itex]

My Attempt/Solution:
-----------------
First consider the intergral,
[itex] I_R = \int_{\gamma^R} \frac{e^{3iz}}{(z+2i)(z-2i)}dz[/itex] where [itex] \gamma^R = \gamma^R_1 + \gamma^R_2 [/itex] and [itex]\gamma^R_1 = \{|z| = R , Im(z) > 0\} [/itex] and [itex]\gamma^R_2 = \{z = Re(z) , -R\leq z \leq R\}[/itex]

Now, let [itex]g(z) = \frac{e^{3iz}}{(z+2i)(z-2i)}[/itex]. The integrand has 2 simple poles, one at 2i and one at -2i. Only 2i is inside the contour so:

[itex]Res(g,2i) = \lim_{z \to 2i}\frac{(z-2i)e^{3iz}}{(z+2i)(z-2i)} = \lim_{z \to 2i}\frac{e^{3iz}}{(z+2i)} = \frac{e^{-6}}{4i}[/itex]

By Cauchy's Residue Theorem, we have:
[itex] I_R = (2\pi i)\frac{e^{-6}}{4i} = \frac{\pi e^{-6}}{2}[/itex]

To show that [itex]\int_{\gamma^R_1}g(z)dz \to 0, R \to \infty[/itex], we apply Jordan's Lemma : [itex]M(R) \leq \frac{1}{R^2-4}[/itex].

So now this means, [itex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{cos3x}{x^2 + 4} = \frac{\pi e^{-6}}{2}[/itex]

Please could you verify whether I have worked these out correctly. Thanks a great deal, highly appreciated :).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Both look good to me.

In problem 1, the fact that " no -1th term" because its coefficient is 0.

1. What are the steps for solving residue and integral problems?

To solve residue and integral problems, you will need to follow these steps:

• Identify the singularities of the function in the complex plane.
  • Find the residues of the function at each singularity.
  • Use the Cauchy Residue Theorem to calculate the integral of the function.
  • Sum up the residues to get the final result.

2. How do I identify singularities in the complex plane?

Singularities are points where a function is undefined or has a singularity in the complex plane. These can include poles, branch points, and essential singularities. You can identify singularities by looking for points where the function is not continuous or differentiable.

3. What is the Cauchy Residue Theorem?

The Cauchy Residue Theorem states that if a function is analytic inside a simple closed contour except for a finite number of isolated singularities, then the integral of the function around the contour is equal to the sum of the residues of the function at those singularities. This theorem is often used to calculate complex integrals.

4. How do I calculate residues?

To calculate the residue of a function at a singularity, you can use the formula:

Where z0 is the singularity and f(z) is the function. You can also use other methods such as the Laurent series expansion or the Cauchy-Riemann equations to calculate residues.

5. Can you provide an example of solving a residue and integral problem?

Sure, let's say we want to calculate the integral , where C is a simple closed contour. The function has two singularities at z=i and z=-i. Using the Cauchy Residue Theorem, we can calculate the integral as follows:

Therefore, the integral is equal to π.